Richard S. Ewell as the commander of the Army of the Valley?

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Robert E. Lee relieved General Ewell as commander of the Second Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia and replace him with Jubal A Early, just before Lee sent the Second Corps to the Shenandoah Valley. Is it possible that if Ewell had been left in charge that the Shenandoah Valley Campaign would have went differently? It does appear that General Early deserved the command and I am not sure we can find fault with his actions, however could have General Ewell done any better?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

cash

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Robert E. Lee relieved General Ewell as commander of the Second Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia and replace him with Jubal A Early, just before Lee sent the Second Corps to the Shenandoah Valley. Is it possible that if Ewell had been left in charge that the Shenandoah Valley Campaign would have went differently? It does appear that General Early deserved the command and I am not sure we can find fault with his actions, however could have General Ewell done any better?
I don't think so. My sense is that Lee believed Ewell had given all he had to give and had no more to give in a corps command, and let's face it, Early was leading a corps that had cavalry attached to it. It seems to me Lee had good reason to believe this, which is why he eased Ewell out of command.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
General Ewell was relieve of duty at Spotsylvania Battlefield due to a "sickness".
"Lee reasoned that Ewell's lingering injuries were the cause of his problems and he relieved him from corps command, reassigning him to command the garrison of the Department of Richmond, which was by no means an insignificant assignment, given the extreme pressure Union forces were applying to the Confederate capital." - Wiki

Greyfalcon

Corporal
I am not sure we can find fault with his actions, however could have General Ewell done any better?
I would definitely find fault with Gen. Early's actions at the Battle of Cedar Creek. As to Ewell, Lee was correct in relieving him when he did and so I have doubts, given the opposition in the 'valley' under Sheridan, and Ewell's precarious health, specifically his mental health, that he would have faired any better.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
I would definitely find fault with Gen. Early's actions at the Battle of Cedar Creek. As to Ewell, Lee was correct in relieving him when he did and so I have doubts, given the opposition in the 'valley' under Sheridan, and Ewell's precarious health, specifically his mental health, that he would have faired any better.
Keep in mind his men were hungry and General Lee had drained his man power.

Jamieva

1st Lieutenant
No Ewell would no done any better. Ewell snapped mentally at Spotsylvania there was no way lee wanted him in command of a large force after that. The only other option besides Early to go to the Valley would have been Hill if he was not ill

Yankeedave

1st Lieutenant
So it kind of a matter of who can sustain a campaign. hill is good but spotty. how slow would ewell have been? is it early because of the three he is fit And aggressive. i mean there is no chance of hurting d.c. its the drawing troops to it i.e. away from richmond and grant sends men there to close the valley finally?

atlantis

First Sergeant
Ewell was a good man but a spent force and lee was right to relieve him.

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Was Lee running out of top commanders? It is also possible the Confederacy was running low on good armies for any commander to win with.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!