RI Manville Settler's Days 21st-22nd September 2019

Glen_C

Sergeant
http://www.msrgc.com/

I missed doing anything last year and blamed it on the weather. I am once again tentatively going to set up at least something (knives and a handful of swords&books). I'm getting old or something and my motivation is down a bit flying solo but it's good to air some stuff out. The younger guys are doing couples stuff on weekends now. Ironic, in that the fellow first inviting me down there had been in it 100%. Time changes priorities.

mUdqymG.jpg

Once I start loading, I always have trouble not grabbing another box or bag. Maybe just the militia swords this year.

I will update that Friday but I'm somehow praying for rain. What a lousy attitude :hyuk: We'll see. Anyway, Road Island at its best on the first weekend of fall. Get off my duff and just do it.

Cheers
GC

VdC5wM3.jpg

ioVGBLq.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. Rain or shine. Hotter than Hades or hurricanes. I had been attending since 2003 and bowed out last year, partly due to wet weather. Several ranges set up and a lot of the events run on a ticket basis. Arts & crafts and various vendors from year to year. There had been a couple of others working with me for years and betwixt us filled three or four tables. I'm 65 now and slowing down a bit. I had done mostly eagle pommel and cavalry swords in 2017 and this year it may be just a few militia swords and others. These weekends had often put me in traction for days after the weekends and it had always been good to have friends help loading out. We used to do cutting practice and it may have been one visitor's sword flying over to the hawk pit that put a damper on my friend's enthusiasm. I'm happy just "talking shop". No two years quite alike.

3f50955f.jpg

Another friend's daughter 2007

From vikings to Vietnam 2012
2012 002.jpg

One wet Sunday inside but the fiddlers were literally too much to handle again, ten feet away.
Manville2009 010.jpg

The club is receptive to one and all. Space on the field pretty much first come first served but the National Guard and their rock face, as well as other's of us are generally in the same place every year . We had moved the swords under the trees in 2012. It is a local draw and many families. A shuttle runs between a public lot and the club, it is a two block walk. There have been visitors bringing in their black powder stuff.

Good fun The gun ranges offer a variety of arms to shoot, from percussion to air rifle all the way up to a .50 Barret.

BYO chair if planning to hang but as mentioned, this may be another year I miss attending. I can't confirm until that week.

I had never joined the club and there is currently a quite long waiting list to be a member. The club hosts many national events. Again, this weekend is open to all. A heads up to the club if vending and they have always been open to more displays.

Cheers
GC

Last edited:
Long range weather is looking promising and I am running out of excuses not to show at least a few swords.

One early forecast was showing an inch of rain for the 22nd but I may have had the wrong state. I'll only know for sure, if I have actually loaded some stuff.

Aside from feeling lousy after a jawbreaker episode, I'm as able as I'll ever be for now.

Cheers
GC

Last eagle in and would be one of a few swords not in the distant storage. A coupe of militia swords, a European cuttoe, an m1832 artillery sword, another spadroon and a 17th century feldegen would easily get gathered here. My main cache is less easily at hand but I'll know next week if I load out a large horde. The knives would be there.

8FKmVMJ.jpg

The club would love to have more presence of living history groups. There used to be a militia group that would camp out those weekends and one Native American tribe. Both have found this annual weekend busy on their calendars.

Weather is back to iffy, that's NE :wink:

Cheers
GC

Saturday morning. I know folk want to see more swords but I packed out only a few. I was at my tables the whole time or could share more about the club.

dvZCxlm.jpg

XDp3u3K.jpg

p6iWarI.jpg

a couple of Saturday's posers

qwZR0ho.jpg

7DRtPFP.jpg

I did set up in the mini forest again and I have a great view of the hawk tossing station. The kids do an amazing job.

nxR5uzA.jpg

The wee lass cutting cards by her third throw

h6XwRg6.jpg

More naturals

FK0FNqt.jpg

A four year old getting coached

L8pmWSv.jpg

No age limits

DvaSA7Y.jpg

I changed up the tables a little Sunday and moved a deeper into this pine grove.

7SKuXHN.jpg

zMF7tRD.jpg

Pain and boredom have strange bedfellows. The old sword is a Germanic states cavalry sword from the fourth quarter 17th century 1675 or so. Three militia swords ranging from the Mexican War to the ACW, the eagle as shown above.

HgO6XaT.jpg

HgO6XaT.jpg

1II0aeo.jpg

G7dQsEL.jpg

FlqDG1p.jpg

Lincoln's finest with the feldegen

qEhLhqJ.jpg

Starting to pack Sunday and the hawk tossing station is growing a line, right around quitting time.

9srG0Sr.jpg

Of course as soon as I close the last box, a father and son want to review everything they saw the previous day. That at 5:15 pm. The hawk station still going and everyone seems a little tired.

njPXnMo.jpg

Stragglers coming down from the ranges that had closed almost half an hour before.

A3s4BEM.jpg

That's about it. The club really needs more of a draw. The archery company left early due to lack of business. A lot of the older club membership stopped by and thanking me for showing up. The blacksmith/tinker that used to camp out for the weekend is done with it and the National Guard a no show with their portable wall. The big field turned into a parking lot Sunday afternoon.

Very much a family and friends event, with the ranges where most spend their time. I sold some and gave some gifts.

I am pretty much in traction after these and have been for years. I had a stroke just weeks after the 2008 event but I have only missed the Sunday of 2006 and the 2018 weekend since first doing a display of reproduction medieval swords in 2003.

Locals looking for something to share down there, or vend are welcome but if it's a food service. it must be licensed. If planning on a large bivouac, or large group presentation, please do contact the club anytime. I am not a member, I just do that one event a year.

Cheers
GC

Back