Rhubarb

I made a strawberry rhubarb pie on Monday.

Here's my recipe, very simple:

2 cups sliced/ diced rhubarb

4 cups tops cut off and quartered or
sliced in half strawberries. I grow my own, they're so much better than store bought strawberries. I've been picking mine for the last 2 weeks here.

1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup of all purpose flour whisked up in a bowl together. Fold/sprinkle that mixture into a big bowl of the fruit and rhubarb. Let the mixture set good for at least half an hour before pouring into your 9" deep dish pie shell. There will be just a tad left over. Dot the mixture with butter (like 1 and 1/2 tbsp.) all the way around before placing the top crust on. Slit the crust for steam and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Bake @ 400 for 35-40 minutes on a big baking pan lined with parchment paper if you don't want to fuss with the pie oozing, cause it will.

Let cool on a rack for the rest of the afternoon. It'll set up nice if you put it in the fridge overnight.

Here's pics of my pie and the berries I grow....It really is a good pie. I make my own blackberry pie also as I have lots of those out back also. When the NJ blueberries are in season I usually make a blueberry pie, same with the yellow Georgia peaches. I prefer to make pies with American grown produce when it's in season whether it's my own or from a state within our Union.

PC290004.JPG

PC290003.JPG

PC290005.JPG

PC280002.JPG

PC280004.JPG

Blueberry pie will be next. I need to finish off my pie shown first!!! It does freeze well. The blackberries are usually ripe for picking around early -mid July depending on the weather.

I got around to raiding the recipe box for rhubarb jam directions.

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 lbs rhubarb stalks (4 cups chopped).
  • 3/4 cup sugar (up to 1-1/4 cup to taste).
  • 2 tbsp water.
  • 1 tbsp ginger (grated).
Directions:
  • Place ingredients in medium size pot over low heat. Use the minimum amount of sugar. Stir continuously until the sugar is dissolved.
  • Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until rhubarb pieces fall apart and mix is about the consistency of applesauce (~45 min).
  • Add additional sugar to taste. Turn off heat when sugar is dissolved.
  • Ladle into hot, sterile jars. Seal with lids and rings.
  • Store opened jars in refrigerator.

I got around to raiding the recipe box for rhubarb jam directions.

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 lbs rhubarb stalks (4 cups chopped).
  • 3/4 cup sugar (up to 1-1/4 cup to taste).
  • 2 tbsp water.
  • 1 tbsp ginger (grated).
Directions:
  • Place ingredients in medium size pot over low heat. Use the minimum amount of sugar. Stir continuously until the sugar is dissolved.
  • Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until rhubarb pieces fall apart and mix is about the consistency of applesauce (~45 min).
  • Add additional sugar to taste. Turn off heat when sugar is dissolved.
  • Ladle into hot, sterile jars. Seal with lids and rings.
  • Store opened jars in refrigerator.
That sounds yummy! I wonder if you could throw some strawberry in there??

My wife and I grew up in central Texas. Saw and tasted my first rhubarb pie when we moved to California. My wife found out that she LOVES rhubarb pie!! Her favorite "recipe" was to drop by a Marie Callender's restaurant and pick up one. Unfortunately, the drive from North Carolina now makes that impracticable.

Went into the city for lunch today. The dessert had a creative use of rhubarb. It was a crème brulee with a rhubarb compote under the sugar crust. It was really good.

1. Film (movie) and stage extras in UK say "rhubarb, rhubarb" to simulate the background noise of a murmuring crowd.

2. A "Rhubarb" was the Royal Air Force codeword for low level fighter sweeps over northern France during WW2.

There were farm stands along my drive today with large signs saying "Rhubarb". I didn't stop to purchase any.

Back