1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Revolver from my South Carolina ancestor

Discussion in 'Civil War Weapons and Ammunition' started by TommyNole, Jan 9, 2017.

1. TommyNole

TommyNole Private

I have a revolver that's been passed down my paternal line. I understand it was likely owned by my great great grandfather John Allen Neese (~1844 - ?) from the Lexington, SC area. Or perhaps his father Allen Neese (1811-1881) before him. I probably have no way of validating its Civil War connection 100% but would love to get an expert's assessment on the make & model of this sidearm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Copperhead-mi

Copperhead-mi 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

The revolver appears to be a Model 1858 Remington Army.

AndyHall and TommyNole like this.
  4. TommyNole

TommyNole Private

Thanks so much. That was also the closest make & model that I was able to guess (some subtle differences compared to the photos I found online...so wasn't sure). But I'm no expert. I suppose this adds weight to it being my ancestor's sidearm in the CW. I'll be trying to learn more about him (my great great grandfather up my paternal line).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  5. Jobe Holiday

Jobe Holiday First Sergeant

IMHO, the frame appears to be a Beals Navy, note there is no "notch" in the front of the frame for the cylinder pin. Although I think the loading lever may be either a replacement or it has been reworked.
    J.

6. Copperhead-mi

Copperhead-mi 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

I zeroed in on the lower profile hammer and the non-web type loading lever and completely missed not having the notch. I stand corrected

Jobe Holiday likes this.
  7. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Welcome, enjoy

8. TommyNole

TommyNole Private

Thanks for the input folks. I'm just glad to hear that it's likely a Civil War era piece and fits the story of it belonging to my CW veteran great great grandpa. I would assume any rework that was done to the loading lever probably occurred back during that period too. My ancestor would have been a relatively poor SC kid in his late teens during the CW...so I'm sure he wouldn't have been issued a top of the line sidearm.

9. Craig L Barry

Craig L Barry Sergeant Major

Without opening a can o' worms, your Confederate ancestor wouldn't have been issued a Remington sidearm at all, as a matter of fact. Not by the CS government. Certainly not a Remington, which were manufactured in Ilion, NY. Pre-war purchase, perhaps?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    James N., tbuckley and Jobe Holiday like this.
  10. TommyNole

TommyNole Private

Good question and no idea unfortunately. You make a valid point. I probably made a wrong assumption. He was from a big family and it could have belonged to his father, etc.

I'm a complete noobie!

11. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com Sergeant Major Forum Host

If you could post some more photos especially of the other side and the top of the barrel should have makers marks, Just from the one photo I going with a Beals which means it should be marked.

12. TommyNole

TommyNole Private

Will do as soon as I have it in my hands again. I'm officially inheriting it in a couple months. Thanks for offering to put your expert eyes (all of you) on it. I can also get some measurements if that helps.

13. MTSR4000

MTSR4000 Private

Maybe got it through smugglers, or took it off a Federal prisoner? or a dead one? I suppose it could have been a personally owned piece bought before the war. If only it could talk :smile:

14. Story

Story Sergeant

Good catch - almost as if a Colt Navy loading lever had been retrofitted.

hrobalabama likes this.
  15. Story

Story Sergeant

Can you confirm .36 or .44 caliber?

Plot twist -

http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCGI.exe?IDCFile=/spring/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=9883,DATABASE=objects,

Caveat - Privates (like John Neese) in Infantry Regiments generally weren't issued revolvers.
    Lots of weapons failed to make it into the piles required during the mass surrenders. A prudent individual would exercise 'midnight quarter-mastering' before walking home. Jus' sayin'.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    James N. likes this.
  16. Craig L Barry

Craig L Barry Sergeant Major

There is a chapter in The Unfinished Fight Volume 2 on CS use of the Remington revolver. And there is a pretty famous image of Confederate bushwhacker George Maddox with a brace of Remington revolvers. It's just not the norm...as stated above, especially with the rank and file infantrymen.

17. RebelHeart

RebelHeart Corporal

Plot twist 2.0 - It may have been a captured weapon. As John S. Mosby stated, his men were well-supplied with Colt Revolvers, all of which the U. S. government paid for (asserting that they were all captured or stolen).

Every gun has a story....

Stony and James N. like this.
  18. Story

Story Sergeant

Could be, but we need more info from the OP to lock down the starting point (like, was it an 1860 South Carolina state purchase or not).

19. ucvrelics.com

ucvrelics.com Sergeant Major Forum Host

The first thing is to determine just what weapon it is, markings, caliber etc. It was not issued to a CS private. It very well could have been a battlefield issued item. I hear so many time stories that were passed down over time they do get embellished.

20. TommyNole

TommyNole Private

I have no reason to believe it was issued to my ancestor and don't know how it came into his possession. All I know is it was handed down my paternal line from SC to me. My CW era ancestor up that line was John Neese (1847-1919) who may have been a CW veteran. His father was Allen Neese (1811-1881). I need to learn more about the CW link or lack of one. I see a John Neese from SC who served in the CW (from the NPS.gov site). How do I find out if that's my ancestor?

I'll get more photos and measurements in 2 months when I officially inherit it. Thanks so much for everyone's help!

- Tom (a noobie here certain of my Michigan CW ancestry...trying to learn more about my South Carolina CW side and the gun handed down to me).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  21. Story

Story Sergeant

Build a family tree (or work on one that's already begun), starting with your parents/grandparents.
    Great grandparents, you generally have to start hitting birth records.

PS - there are a couple of fellows named John Neese who served, including this guy
    http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi/http=://www,findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=55918524

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    JAGwinn and TommyNole like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)