lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
From Confederate Veteran, April 1893.

"Mr. T. J. McGahee, now a citizen of this place (Columbus, MS), relates the following incident as happening to him during the war: He was wounded in the leg and captured and carried to the Federal hospital, and the surgeon in charge decided to amputate it. McGahee said to the doctor: "I do not want my leg cut off, I would rather die." But the surgeon said: "I don't care what you want, I am going to cut it off." So McGahee was put on the table and preparations made to cut. McGahee refused to take chloroform, and as the surgeon came up to the table, McGahee, who uses his left hand, gathered all his strength and hit the surgeon a stinging blow in the nose, bringing the blood and knocking him down. As soon as the surgeon could recover from the blow, with an oath he rushed at the man, cut him so badly with the surgeon's knife that he was afraid to operate, and so McGahee was carried back to the hospital, and he has his leg yet. He does not remember the surgeon's name, but no doubt if yet living he will remember this incident well."

Wow, what a great story! Thanks for sharing it. And bravo to Mr. McGahee for being brave enough to resist having his leg amputated needlessly. I would sure love to know the rest of the story. What a character he must have been. Reminds me of the opening scene in Dances With Wolves.

Among others who fought amputation was William Brimage Bate, a colonel in the Second Tennessee. Both major bones in his left leg were broken by a musket ball at the Battle of Shiloh. Although the surgeons insisted on amputation, Bate refused and ordered his servant to give him his pistols, letting the surgeons know "he intended to protect that leg." He kept his pistols at his bedside for the remainder of his hospital stay.
From ... The Civil War in Popular Culture: Memory and Meaning
edited by Lawrence A. Kreiser Jr. and Randal Allred

Among others who fought amputation was William Brimage Bate, a colonel in the Second Tennessee. Both major bones in his left leg were broken by a musket ball at the Battle of Shiloh. Although the surgeons insisted on amputation, Bate refused and ordered his servant to give him his pistols, letting the surgeons know "he intended to protect that leg." He kept his pistols at his bedside for the remainder of his hospital stay.
From ... The Civil War in Popular Culture: Memory and Meaning
edited by Lawrence A. Kreiser Jr. and Randal Allred
Thank goodness he was likely not my gg grandfather's patient. 2nd (Walkers) TN was 1st Brigade (Bushrod Johnson) 2nd Division (Cheathams), 1st Corps (Polk) so probably under Dr Lyles' care. :roflmao:

Back