Revived Reminiscences - July 22, 1864

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

lelliott19

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Silver Patron
From Confederate Veteran, April 1893.

W. A. CAMPBELL, COLOMBUS, MISS.

"Your article from the Fifteenth Texas soldier, and the Federal, in the March number, reminds me of my own experience with an Ohio soldier, either of the Sixty second or Sixty third Ohio Regiment, July 22, 1864, just at the edge of Decatur, Ga., about six miles from Atlanta. As my command (Muldron's Mississippi Calvary) went into Decatur I saw a wounded Federal in the hot sun, and I halted and asked him if I could do anything for him. He said, "Yes, please give me water and get me out of the sun." I unslung my canteen and gave him half in his own canteen and carried him to the shade. He then pointed to one of our men and said, "That man took my money and knife." I ordered the man to return them to him, which he did, and I said to the Federal that as soon as the battle was over I would have him carried to the field hospital. After the fight was over I went back to see about him, but he had been taken away, and I do not know anything more of him. He was shot through the right lung, and may have died. My recollection is that he belonged to Badge's corps, as we captured this general's headquarters, with books and papers."

Last edited:
Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!