Perryville Rev. Quintard's first letter to Nashville after the battle.

"Bryanville, KY.,
October 12, 1862.}
MY DEAR PAUL: You will hear from many sources of our fight at Perryville, of the gallant conduct of our troops, and of our victory. We drove the enemy from the field, and occupied his position all night. As he “changed his base” very early in the morning, we withdrew—but we had a victory. Many’s [sic] brigade had glorious work, troops never fought more desperately, with greater coolness, or more complete success. Every man in the brigade proved himself a hero. I cannot at present give and accurate list of our killed and wounded. Of the 1st​ Tennessee regiment, Lt. Col. Patterson was killed. Early in the action, he received a wound in the arm, which he bound up with his pocket handkerchief and continued on his horse, cheering his men, and urging them forward, until struck by a grape shot in the mouth, which killed him instantly. John Carter, son of Daniel Carter Esq., of Nashville, was wounded in the thigh, the bone was broken high up. As far as I have a list I give it:

Co. A—Killed: Lieut. Thos. Lanier; Privates Wm Bryant; John Clark; Jos Spence; Edw Wiggins; Chas Hardee; 12 wounded.
Co. B—Killed: Lieut Davis; Lieut Blakeley; Sergt Fraser; Privates Eugene Wharton; Morgan Smith; Joe McNish; John Goodber; Robt Hamilton; John Wheney; 15 wounded.
Co. C—Capt Whiless reported wounded badly; Killed: Lieut Hawlton; Private Robt Henrey. Wounded—number not ascertained.
Co. D—Killed: Sergt W R Hughes; Private Thos Anthony.
In this company Capt. Atkins and all his officers were wounded, 21 wounded in all.
Co. K—Killed: Lieut Pitts; Sergt J Haney; Privates Richard Brown; Aug Madrey; Jas Tapley; Wounded, number not ascertained.
Co. G—Killed: Vesteli; Jones; Fitzgerald; Reed; Wounded 17.
Co. I—Killed: Sergts J T Jarrat; M C Jamison; Privates Sam Ransom; Geo Clark; W Searcy; L Seward; L H Smith; T Bering; Joe Keats, Wounded 8.
Some of the wounded have died since the battle, but I have not ascertained the names. I am endeavoring to get back to them. Dr. J. R. Buist, Surgeon of the regt. is with them, as also Dr. Rice, Gen’l Cheatham’s Medical Director. I shall return with clothing, &c.
In haste, yours truly.
C. T. QUINTARD."

Back