Tell me more! Reunion Coin?

Deerhunterr82

Private
I have 3 of these 1936 reunion coins from the blue gray reunion in gettysburg, I know nothing about them or value. Any help would be great. Thanks

20191218_194253.jpg

20191218_194253.jpg

20191218_194313.jpg

That is the 1936 United States Gettysburg Commemorative Half Dollar put into circulation by the U.S. Mint during 1937 for planned 1938 Gettysburg 75th reunion. The coins are fairly common and circulated examples such as yours sell on Ebay for $15 to $75 depending on the amount of wear on the coin. Uncirculated examples sell for much higher.

The designs on the obverse and reverse of the coins are the same as those adopted by the committee that was responsible for organizing the Gettysburg 75th Anniversary Reunion and appears on stationary, programs, etc. that were produced at the time.

Last edited:
I realize that this is a very late reply, but I thought it best to post anyway due to the nature of the message and to possibly protect folks from making a costly mistake in the future:

The Gettysburg "coin" shown above is a counterfeit, there are multiple problems on each side of the coin. Details such as lettering style and spacing, width of the rims, missing/incorrect design details (and more). I've included images of a genuine example for comparison.

1936-Gettysburg-REV-Resized.jpg

1936-Gettysburg-OBV-Resized.jpg

Here are a few diagnostics for identifying the above coin as a counterfeit:

1) Compare the lettering on the two pieces, the lettering on the counterfeit is a different style.
2) The spacing of the letters and words on the counterfeit differ from that on a genuine coin.
3) The stars on the counterfeit are noticeably larger on the counterfeit vs. those on a genuine coin.
4) A genuine coin does not have the pronounced/wide rims seen on the counterfeit.
5) A genuine coin does not have the pronounced circular frame between the inner design elements and the wording near the rim that is seen on the counterfeit.
6) The double-headed ax on the counterfeit's reverse is the wrong size and shape.

There are other mismatches between the counterfeit and a genuine coin, but those are enough to make it clear that the piece shown is a counterfeit.

Here are a pair of closeup images of a genuine coin that I hope make it easier to compare.

1936-Gettysburg-OBV-Cropped.jpg
1936-Gettysburg-REV-Cropped.jpg

Back