Return to Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, April 20-22, 1990

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (3).jpg

The semi-annual reenactment at Pleasant Hill, Louisiana in April 1990 was my first event following the previous year's filming and release of the motion picture Glory. For some reason I found myself in charge of the Union infantry at the event, acting as battalion commander of our usual company but for the battle also adding a company of galvanized authentic Confederates plus a color guard of event "regulars" in the form of a half-dozen Union Zouaves. In the photo above taken shortly before the battle, I'm standing in front of my command with my usual outfit on the right of the color party and the galvanized Rebs to the left; our company's First Sergeant Mark Cadigan is at left in the front rank.

Image (6).jpg

Above and below, arms inspection prior to the battle with my friend the late Glen Hargis commanding the company.

Image (5).jpg

Image (7).jpg

Our company's lieutenant for the event was Gary Beetley above, more often seen at events like this as regimental surgeon. Below, another late friend David Dunnett from Fort Worth, Texas who I'd conned on coming along as regimental adjutant, wearing sash and shoulder straps borrowed from me for the occasion.

Image (4).jpg

Image (8).jpg

Such Federal cavalry as there was were also "galvanized" and are seen above in front of the site's reconstructed dogtrot cabin.

Image (9).jpg

Another prominent feature at this event - which was not appreciated by everyone - was the participation as a "soldier" of another friend and member of our organization Iris Welch, aka Private Stumpy. Iris had been pestering us to let her play and so I took the opportunity at this less-than-authentic event to grant her wish, hoping it would satisfy her, at least for a while. Perhaps unfortunately, there were a couple of things that made a Iris a far-less-than-convincing infantryman and drew at least one audible comment from the audience, "I doidn't know there were women soldiers" or something like it. (Remember this was thirty years ago!) I also took the opportunity of recording her participation wearing her husband's uniform and borrowed accouterments and rifle, which she soon tired of lugging, spending most or her time as a spectator.

Image (10).jpg

Image (11).jpg

Above, Gary and David behind the line-of-battle during the artillery duel waiting for the Confederate attack; below, more scenes from behind the Union line.

Image (12).jpg

Image (13).jpg

Image (14).jpg

Below, Gary and a friend of (his whose name I've unfortunately forgotten) join me in the occasion off having our likenesses taken for posterity.

Image (15).jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure the unit whose arms your inspecting is our old group. Recognize some of the guys in the picture, and those **** gators we had to wear. Hated them. Thanks for posting this.

I wonder if the "night raids" still happen at Pleasant Hill. I remember the first time I seen them happen years ago, I was still in High School, and one of my main friends and mentors, Jimmy Moore who commanded the artillery for years, wouldn't let me go! All because I was only 17 and he was adamant I could get hurt because of the foolishness. About the time I was protesting it we heard a Ruger Mini-14 going off in those woods and he and his partner in crime buddy Dave Holcomb, (God rest his soul) started telling me in that terrain and all that going on an accident could happen. I spent that time getting my first lessons in cleaning muskets.

But the next year I was 18, had my own musket, and Jimmy couldn't stop me!

Funny part is some Canadian fellow had a revolver chain fire with a vengeance next to my head. That night was actually my first time to command anything.

Good times...

The woods of the night fights for the record, in daylight:

2016-04-08 17.45.58.jpg

2016-04-08 17.46.49.jpg

2016-04-08 17.48.29.jpg

2016-04-08 17.48.46.jpg

One of the alleged original rifle pits dug by soldiers in the Corps De Afrique during the battle as I've always been told. I've never done the research to figure out for sure if they are legitimate or not. I've fought out of one during the night fights, so if legitimate there's that.

2016-04-08 17.49.41.jpg

Rough terrain out in those woods and loads of fun navigating them at night under fire!

Last edited:
Back