Restricted Retrieved 7: Why Was Baltimore So Strongly Secessionist?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Mosby

Private
Shortly after Fort Sumter and Virginia's secession, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania infantry open fired on a mob in Baltimore, some members of which were throwing stones at them. The mayor and police chief responded by ordering all railroad bridges blown up to prevent any further trouble by keeping out Union troops. For this, they were imprisoned in Fort McHenry.

It seems like a large percentage of Baltimorians, including the mayor were secessionists. Why was this, since a small percentage of the population of Baltimore City was slaves?

leftyhunter

Colonel
Shortly after Fort Sumter and Virginia's secession, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania infantry open fired on a mob in Baltimore, some members of which were throwing stones at them. The mayor and police chief responded by ordering all railroad bridges blown up to prevent any further trouble by keeping out Union troops. For this, they were imprisoned in Fort McHenry.

It seems like a large percentage of Baltimorians, including the mayor were secessionists. Why was this, since a small percentage of the population of Baltimore City was slaves?
Just because someone doesn't own slaves doesn't mean they don't support the institution of slavery or white supremacy in general.
Maryland as in the case of other border states was deeply divided although we don't have good numbers in terms of percentages.
I have never been able to find a good source in how many Marylanders joined the Union Army vs the Confederate Army. Not saying the source isn't out there.
Leftyhunter

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Eastern Maryland was the pro-slavery section of Maryland, while Western Maryland was pro-Union.

leftyhunter

Colonel

Per Wiki 25k Marylanders joined the Confederate Army vs 60k joined the Union Army but major caveat the article is not sourced.
Leftyhunter

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
The shooting was done by a Massachusetts militia regiment, the 6th Massachusetts, raised in the area now known as the "Merrimack Valley" in northern Massachusetts. I'm not sure if all the Pennsylvanian militiamen were armed.

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
Sir, I'm not sure this was a slavery thing as opposed to a perceived cultural connection thing. Baltimore has been called the most Northern southern city and the most Southern northern city. She was in strenuous commercial compatition with NYC and Philly, (and to a lesser extend - Boston), for western trade while having close ties to the coastal states of what would become the Confederacy, (and what would become West Virginia). Like the other border states, she straddled both worlds and because of that, some looked south, while others were more northern in orientation.

Not sure that helps,
USS ALASKA
Also Baltimore was a big dependent on food from the Shenandoah Valley which is in Virginia along with tobacco, grain for shipping.

Robin Lesjovitch

Corporal
Just because someone doesn't own slaves doesn't mean they don't support the institution of slavery or white supremacy in general.
Maryland as in the case of other border states was deeply divided although we don't have good numbers in terms of percentages.
I have never been able to find a good source in how many Marylanders joined the Union Army vs the Confederate Army. Not saying the source isn't out there.
Leftyhunter
The question of "white supremacy" is not important. Almost all White Americans fell into that.
Maryland had voted solidly for Breckinridge in 1860, more than suggesting a the state generally had no interest in the Republican party.
So the feeling among some Marylanders was the Executive of the US government would be in the hands of "outside interests".
The polarizing effect of the Republican Party was such that every state which did not give a majority vote to the Lincoln in 1860 would be occupied by Federal or federalized troops to some extent during Lincoln's presidency.
My opinion is that MD, KY,VA NC,Mo,AK and TN all had substantial populations that came to believe there was no more "National" government. That put over half the soldiers opposing Lincoln in the field.

About 47 miles Northwest of the Canadian border
MD didn’t have the opportunity to secede. So, we will never know, how that would of gone. Mr Lincoln knew with the geography significance of MD to DC, she had to stay in the Union. Ballot Boxes stolen, coercion, the American Way.
No, McClellan, with the governor's approval, just arrested the traitor secessionists from the state legislature that held a rump meeting to pull Maryland out of the Union.

Robin Lesjovitch

Corporal
Per Wiki 25k Marylanders joined the Confederate Army vs 60k joined the Union Army but major caveat the article is not sourced.
Leftyhunter
My guess is that 25,000 is a high estimate for Marylanders in CSA service. But, they were all in field formations or naval service.
I think 50,000 would be a high estimate for Union serving Marylanders in army line units or naval forces.
There might be 20,000 more in enrolled militia, all Union controlled.
Maryland's contribution to both navies is usually understated.

Robin Lesjovitch

Corporal
Leftyhunter
My guess is that 25,000 is a high estimate for Marylanders in CSA service. But, they were all in field formations or naval service.
I think 50,000 would be a high estimate for Union serving Marylanders in army line units or naval forces.

jackt62

2nd Lieutenant
Southern hopes for support in Maryland were strong, and were an important part of Lee's reasons for raiding that state.

jackt62

2nd Lieutenant
Southern hopes for support in Maryland were strong, and were an important part of Lee's reasons for raiding that state.

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Agree. Unfortunately he had to enter the state in the section least disposed to support the Confederacy.

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Agree. Unfortunately he had to enter the state in the section least disposed to support the Confederacy.

leftyhunter

Colonel
The basic problem is so far as I know no scholar has researched this question. Yes there is Dyer's Compendium but Dyer's Compendium doesn't always include Regimental numbers and it was common in both sides for regiments to take in any Tom Dick or Harry they could lay their hands in regardless of what state or country they were from.
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Colonel
The question of "white supremacy" is not important. Almost all White Americans fell into that.
Maryland had voted solidly for Breckinridge in 1860, more than suggesting a the state generally had no interest in the Republican party.
So the feeling among some Marylanders was the Executive of the US government would be in the hands of "outside interests".
The polarizing effect of the Republican Party was such that every state which did not give a majority vote to the Lincoln in 1860 would be occupied by Federal or federalized troops to some extent during Lincoln's presidency.
My opinion is that MD, KY,VA NC,Mo,AK and TN all had substantial populations that came to believe there was no more "National" government. That put over half the soldiers opposing Lincoln in the field.
We do have scholarly estimate for troops from the above states other then Maryland. Per Freeling Kentucky was 25k Confederate vs 50k Union, Missouri Historical. 30k Union vs 130 K Union. Wv approximately 22k vs 22k. So different results from different border states even Tennessee per Current was 42k Union and Ark 10k Union vs more on the Confederate Army.
Maryland apparently is somewhat of a mystery.
Leftyhunter

lelliott19

Captain
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Speculation on my part, but perhaps some Marylanders "looked south" (as @USS ALASKA put it) because they saw the shift in US Government power resulting in removal of a "right" that many interpreted as guaranteed by the Constitution? And, whether they owned slaves or not, feared that similar shifts might result in the removal of other "rights" they viewed as guaranteed by the Constitution? Same as non-slave owners in the South who supported secession.