Retrieved 10: What did Northerners and Southerners have in Common?

James Lutzweiler

Sergeant Major
Fellow Posters,

I weary of reading about all the cultural conflict and differences between the North and the South during this period with virtually no mention, let alone emphasis, upon what the sections had in common. I wonder if some of you might think with me along these lines and share your thoughts with me. In thinking of a divorce in marriage that I know about, one spouse, having determined upon a course of action, could find absolutely no good or common ground with her mate because to do so might have halted her pre-determined course of action. In short, the spouse in question was far from objectivity and balance. Her course of action dictated what she had to pile up as negative excuses about her mate for justifying her pre-determined conduct. And so I am wondering just how many things the North and South had IN COMMON that the South, especially South Carolina, ignored in the ultimate crafting of Secession Declarations. E.g., in the Declarations I find NO MENTION of the $10 million subsidy given to the South by Congress in 1853. Simple question: What other good and common things did these Sections enjoy but that the Seceshers ignored? For the sake of discussion feel free to widen the time period from 1850-186 to 1845-1861.

James

Back