"Resurrection Morn" by Hong Min Zou

Very nice indeed! At first I didn't notice the Yanks across the crik, and was just wondering to myself what tune might have been playing on the banjo & the fiddle...?

My church here in Woodbridge, VA has this picture on the wall, with a caption explaining what was happening. A soldier from the Confederacy was convicted by a chaplain's preaching and wanted to be baptised as soon as possible (it wasn't Easter, but rather late fall/early winter if I remember, but I'll check again). After gaining hesitant approval from the Commander, the individuals made their way to the river at dusk, unarmed and in a loose group so as not to draw attention from the North. Soldiers on the North heard them and once they could tell what was happening, also approached the river side to peacefully observe. The Spirit was definitely present in this impromptu pause for His cause. I'll get the actual transcript and post it soon.

20190120_195840.jpg

Very nice indeed! At first I didn't notice the Yanks across the crik, and was just wondering to myself what tune might have been playing on the banjo & the fiddle...?

There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood', from the description below

I dont think they are crossing... looks more to be watching... and properly listening to the music.

"As soon as we reached the water's edge, we began to sing that grand old hymn, 'There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood', and at once the enemy began to leave their works and hasten to the riverside,. Many voices in the Northern army also joined in the song. from the description below:

On November, 1863 General Lee's Army moved into winter quarters on the south side of the Rapidan River. The Union army moved up to the north side.

The pickets on each side of the river were within speaking distance of each other. My command camped on the north side of Clark's Mountain and was composed of the following regiments of infantry: 58th, 42nd, 49th, 32nd, and 13th Virginia (General A. P. Hill's old regiment). This was the 4th Virginia Brigade, commanded by General Pegram, who was killed at Hatcher's Run.

"While in camp, our chaplain, Reverend Willie Ragland, preached very faithfully the Gospel of Christ to our command, the 13th Virginia; they loved and honored him as a servant of God. One of the converts, Goodwin of Company A, of Orange Courthouse, living in the lower part of the county, wished to be baptized in the Rapidan River; but the enemy was just on the other side, and our officers feared that we might bring on trouble. But finally, they gave their consent. We marched very scatteringly, about fifty strong; and the enemy, seeing that we had no arms, did not fire on us, but seemed greatly puzzled and watched us closely.

"As soon as we reached the water's edge, we began to sing that grand old hymn, 'There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood', and at once the enemy began to leave their works and hasten to the riverside,. Many voices in the Northern army also joined in the song. Both armies were at peace as they witnessed the death of the old man into the resurrection of the new man through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Back