Restoring a piece of history

USS ALASKA

Captain
Restoring a piece of history
Posted by Jane Bond on November 16th, 2018

Civil War cannon to be placed at Veteran’s Memorial Park

MANISTEE — Many of the major wars that shaped this country occurred in a time where photos and video were less commonplace, and are commemorated by the memories of those who served.

With this in mind, it is a rare treasure to have a physical piece of history that looks as if it were pulled straight out of a history book.

Paul Bosschem is leading the effort to restore the cannon to its former glory, and said the cannon played a role in American history.

“The cannon sat in Washington D.C. and it was one of the cannons that protected the capital during the Civil War,” he said. “It is a Howitzer cannon and was designed to shoot a 16-pound ball, so that’s a good sized cannon.”

Full article on restoration can be found here - http://news.pioneergroup.com/manisteenews/2018/11/16/restoring-piece-history/

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Nice piece but from the photo it looks to be a 12lb as they did not come in a 16lb flavor. One thing I really hate is the metal reproduction carriages. I know they look the same and last a lot longer but I guess I'm just a purest.

Nice piece but from the photo it looks to be a 12lb as they did not come in a 16lb flavor. One thing I really hate is the metal reproduction carriages. I know they look the same and last a lot longer but I guess I'm just a purest.

Same here, but I assume wooded ones would not last many years out static in the open..
I always wonder if there are actually any original wood carriages, limbers or caissons left.

...One thing I really hate is the metal reproduction carriages. I know they look the same and last a lot longer but I guess I'm just a purest.

As purists, we of course realize that the heritage army would not have left the piece out in the weather all year and for many years to begin with. Authentic would be an oak carriage, yes, but in that case dry storing it over winter and otherwise regular maintenance (linseed infusion, painting, tightening the iron) as needed, like the real army did, every few months or so minimum.

That said, if someone were to volunteer to be the person that keeps up such a fully-authentic piece in perpetuity, at least for their lifetime, perhaps the city fathers would consider it. (Ohio State Battery boys might have suggestions on this). I could only promise to be there every year during Irish Fest.

Last edited:
I always wonder if there are actually any original wood carriages, limbers or caissons left.
There are a few in museums. I know that there were 2 in the weapons museum when I was stationed at APG Maryland.

That said, if someone would to volunteer to be the person that keeps up such a fully-authentic piece in perpetuity
I would but I don't have much perpetuity left:D

Back