Restored Warfield House

Gettysburg Guide #154

Sergeant
Member of the Month
Many of those who follow this forum will know that work has been progressing to restore the James Warfield House to its 1863 appearance. Yesterday, I was able to take these photos without being blocked by construction fencing. The first shows the restored house from the northeast, and the second shows the house from the southwest.
Warfield House fr NE.jpeg

Warfield House fr SW.jpeg

And this is how it appeared before the restoration, with many layers of post war add-ons. Note the larger stones at the corners that can bee seen in both the pre-restoration and post restoration views.

Warfield House pre-renovation.jpg

James Warfield was a free man of African heritage who resided here at the time of the battle. He made his living as a blacksmith, whose work was well respected. Of course, like black citizens throughout Adams County, Warfield and his family were in hiding in order to avoid being captured by the Confederates and sold into slavery. While the number of Pennsylvanians taken is not known, one eye witness from Franklin County (just west of Adams County) wrote that about 200 blacks were seen being marched southward.

Many of those who follow this forum will know that work has been progressing to restore the James Warfield House to its 1863 appearance. Yesterday, I was able to take these photos without being blocked by construction fencing. The first shows the restored house from the northeast, and the second shows the house from the southwest.
View attachment 387832
View attachment 387833

And this is how it appeared before the restoration, with many layers of post war add-ons. Note the larger stones at the corners that can bee seen in both the pre-restoration and post restoration views.

View attachment 387834

James Warfield was a free man of African heritage who resided here at the time of the battle. He made his living as a blacksmith, whose work was well respected. Of course, like black citizens throughout Adams County, Warfield and his family were in hiding in order to avoid being captured by the Confederates and sold into slavery. While the number of Pennsylvanians taken is not known, one eye witness from Franklin County (just west of Adams County) wrote that about 200 blacks were seen being marched southward.
Great update, @Gettysburg Guide #154! I’ve been driving by as they’ve been working on it over the months, but it’s nice to see it without the fencing.

Is it considered finished? I almost drove up there, today, but changed my mind when the weather forecast changed for the worst.

I recall seeing them working on the roof during the anniversary week this past July. Impressive work.

The two Oursler brothers of Company F, 17th Mississippi were killed on July 2 and buried in this vicinity, probably together. Tennessee natives, both entered the army as privates. W. R. Oursler was mustered on May 24, 1861, age 21 years, while R. A. Oursler joined his brother at Leesburg, Virginia in September 1861. At Gettysburg, W. R. was the 1st Lieutenant of the company, while R. A. was the 3rd Sergeant. At least one of them was buried near Warfield's blacksmith shop - on Elliott's map the grave is identified as that of "Lt. R. A. Oursler."

The two Oursler brothers of Company F, 17th Mississippi were killed on July 2 and buried in this vicinity, probably together. Tennessee natives, both entered the army as privates. W. R. Oursler was mustered on May 24, 1861, age 21 years, while R. A. Oursler joined his brother at Leesburg, Virginia in September 1861. At Gettysburg, W. R. was the 1st Lieutenant of the company, while R. A. was the 3rd Sergeant. At least one of them was buried near Warfield's blacksmith shop - on Elliott's map the grave is identified as that of "Lt. R. A. Oursler."

He's also listed as from the 11th Mississippi but I suspect that any headboard would have been weathered and difficult to read when Elliott was drawing his map. In addition, to the southwest and across from the Shafer buildings, Elliott lists 13 graves from the 9th, 13th, and 16th Mississippi.

Ryan

Back