Restoration Project / Bridesburg Contract Musket

Reverend Ron

Private
I picked this 1863 Springfield contract musket up "very cheap" last Spring. I thought I'd just share photos of the finished product just for fun.

1864 Bridesbirg Musket 1.jpg

Bridesburg Close-Up.jpg

Should have taken some "before" photos because the the musket was so rough that nobody wanted to buy it. Barrel had no rifling left at all in it, so it it went out to get relined, and the stock was badly stained by someone who repeatedly oiled the gun up with heavy oil for many decades.

Waiting for a custom bullet sizer to arrive so that I can get a .575 minae ball down the bore. Cleaned up nice and I expect it will be a good shooter.

Looks good!

Here is a Needham Conversion of the U.S. Springfield Rifled Musket Model 1863.
Converted to .58 caliber centerfire.

The conversions were made in a factory in Trenton, New Jersey expressly for the Fenian Brotherhood, for their raid into Canada in 1870.

ket%20purchased%20December%2020%202017_zps4ukaw1nj.jpg

On the lock plate ---Bridesburg—1863—U.S Eagle stamp.

Breech%20open_zpsnlbyeccl.jpg

"IN" stamped on the stock for "Irish Nationalists"

alists%20and%20%20447on%20the%20hammer_zpsf8f6vvxm.jpg

20Conversion%20Lock%20plate%20markings_zps48whsqse.jpg

Inside primed .58 caliber centerfire cartridge.

.58%20caliber%20centerfire%20cartridge_zpsmbkt60jt.jpg

Pg1_zps3gezwlyl.jpg

The%20cartridges%20%20-_zps3cwnfrpa.jpg

IN%20marking_zps5qbi23r1.jpg

Last edited:
Great Resto job

Interesting because Alfred Jenks (Bridesburg) is believed to be one of the few contractors to produce the later "improved" US 1863 version. The overwhelming majority of contractor produced US model rifle-muskets are the 1861 pattern. And so, here is an example.

Interesting because Alfred Jenks (Bridesburg) is believed to be one of the few contractors to produce the later "improved" US 1863 version. The overwhelming majority of contractor produced US model rifle-muskets are the 1861 pattern. And so, here is an example.

I did not know that. A few gentlemen far more knowledgeable than I am, told me not to guilt over restoring this musket because they said they were a lot more common than I originally thought.

Looks good!

Here is a Needham Conversion of the U.S. Springfield Rifled Musket Model 1863.
Converted to .58 caliber centerfire.

The conversions were made in a factory in Trenton, New Jersey expressly for the Fenian Brotherhood, for their raid into Canada in 1870.

View attachment 338543

On the lock plate ---Bridesburg—1863—U.S Eagle stamp.

View attachment 338544

"IN" stamped on the stock for "Irish Nationalists"

View attachment 338545

View attachment 338546

Inside primed .58 caliber centerfire cartridge.

View attachment 338547

Very cool,.... history keeps right on rolling along!

Back