Rest Peacefully Chuck Paris, or as we knew him: KLSDAD

Hi everyone

I'm Chuck's "middlest" daughter. It's so special to hear all of your memories of our dad. Of course I remember his many, many battlefield trips (especially the ones he dragged us to as kids, where we would burn off our pent-up road trip energy by running around on the grass while he read the plaques and literature), but I didn't realize how many events he attended and buddies he visited with around the country. Now that I think about it, he'd mention that he got to meet one or another of you when he'd tell us about whatever trip he just been on (often calling from the car on a long stretch of the drive home), but I never realized how special that must have been for him to connect in real life.

It's funny: any time we ever had a niche issue or interest, he'd tell us to find a forum. Us millennial kids were used to the internet being full of strangers, shallow one-off connections, and having an article to read for anything we need to know, so I never really took it seriously. I see now that he was thinking of you all: his community, true friends that he made around his biggest passion.

We're of course heartbroken. You never expect to lose your dad this early, and he was truly the best. But it really does warm my heart to hear of his kindness and generosity towards all of you. That's my daddy, through and through. So glad that his light reached you all.

Lizzie (the "L" in @KLSDAD)
Hello, Lizzie. I am so glad you shared your thoughts with us. I was somewhat stunned when your dad first contacted me out of the blue a few years ago and announced he was coming through Boonville...and asked if we could meet for breakfast? ....and, oh, by the way, could I suggest a motel that perhaps wasn't totally booked for the Missouri Tigers home football game that weekend? Well, we got all the problems solved (although I think I helped him find the most quaint and off the beaten track motel room in the state), and we met at the local diner, and I instantly liked him. It was the first of a few meetings I had with your dad. I will never forget walking with Booner toward the entrance of the National WWI Museum in Kansas City a few years later and seeing your dad waving to us from the far side of the park as he arrived. He was a great guy--one of those people who instantly makes you feel as though you've been friends forever. I have been praying for you and your sisters and your Mom since we received the sad news. I know my life was made richer for having met your dad, and I'm pretty sure a lot of other members here will tell you the same thing.

@L of KLSDAD , Lizzie, we're glad you found us! Please stay around, this community really has the potential of becoming true and if you are lucky even real-life friends. Even if you are maybe not so much of a Civil War buff, you are very, very welcome among us and if you look through the list of forums, you will find one named "Bivouac and Campfire" where you can share everything and anything that comes to your mind. There are amazing people here and you will soon be a friend among friends.
All the best for these difficult times you and your family are going through - and as Laura, @lelliott19 said, let us know if we can help you in any way.
:hug:
Andrea

Hi everyone

I'm Chuck's "middlest" daughter. It's so special to hear all of your memories of our dad. Of course I remember his many, many battlefield trips (especially the ones he dragged us to as kids, where we would burn off our pent-up road trip energy by running around on the grass while he read the plaques and literature), but I didn't realize how many events he attended and buddies he visited with around the country. Now that I think about it, he'd mention that he got to meet one or another of you when he'd tell us about whatever trip he just been on (often calling from the car on a long stretch of the drive home), but I never realized how special that must have been for him to connect in real life.

It's funny: any time we ever had a niche issue or interest, he'd tell us to find a forum. Us millennial kids were used to the internet being full of strangers, shallow one-off connections, and having an article to read for anything we need to know, so I never really took it seriously. I see now that he was thinking of you all: his community, true friends that he made around his biggest passion.

We're of course heartbroken. You never expect to lose your dad this early, and he was truly the best. But it really does warm my heart to hear of his kindness and generosity towards all of you. That's my daddy, through and through. So glad that his light reached you all.

Lizzie (the "L" in @KLSDAD)

Thanks for sharing your heart, Lizzie!

I post my trip experiences on this message board with photography and small narratives. Chuck would always respond, "I want to travel with you, Buckeye Bill." We finally met in person in 2015 and toured American Civil War sites surrounding my home in Cincinnati, Ohio. We visited many historical sites in Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Georgia. We had a blast!!!

I talked with your Dad about 2 weeks ago. We were planning a "John Hunt Morgan and Raiders" trip in September. He wanted to visited sites in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. Since I have visited these sites, I volunteered to be the tour guide and chauffeur. I will still complete this trip in September. I will place a pair of flip flops and a Michigan State Spartan hat on my passenger seat. He would laugh at my silliness.

It was a pleasure to know your father, Lizzie. He "is" an awesome human being. He loved your mother, his daughters, his family, his friends and his grandson, Henry. I am very sad not to be able to spend more time with "The Spartan." He will be deeply missed by this Marine....

God bless,
Bill

I never met Chuck, but I had the honor of viewing his posts here that always impressed me.

Chuck, in my humble view, is a note in the song made by the forum here. He contributed to that song and for that, will always be a part of us here.

Glad to have seen your thoughts here, Chuck. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

I can't believe it has been 1 year since this wonderful human being passed away. Chuck is missed by this Marine....

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Bill

20220616_111114.jpg

Chuck,

I finally made it to one of your all-time favorite spots, the Winsor Ruins just outside of Port Gibson, Mississippi. Now I truly understand why you loved this location. My wife and I stopped for a moment and thought about you and your wonderful humanity. We miss you, Spartan!

Bill and Naomi

20230403_200310.jpg

20230403_190816.jpg

20230403_134712.jpg

20230403_190718.jpg

20230403_190625.jpg

20230403_190613.jpg

20230403_190553.jpg

Chuck,

I finally made it to one of your all-time favorite spots, the Winsor Ruins just outside of Port Gibson, Mississippi. Now I truly understand why you loved this location. My wife and I stopped for a moment and thought about you and your wonderful humanity. We miss you, Spartan!

Bill and Naomi

View attachment 468541

View attachment 468545

View attachment 468546

View attachment 468547

View attachment 468548

View attachment 468549

View attachment 468550
Thanks for posting this. I still think of Chuck often--whenever I revisit a local site that I once showed to him.

Thanks for posting this. I still think of Chuck often--whenever I revisit a local site that I once showed to him.

I miss traveling with the Michigan State Spartan. He used to tell me, "Wild Bill, you are definitely a photo taking fool." He would rather visit a venue and read the markers. But I do still laugh how he took off his shoes and walked battlefields barefooted. He was a gem!

Bill

Back