Rest Peacefully Chuck Paris, or as we knew him: KLSDAD

Hopefully my fellow moderators will excuse me this spaghetti post. Some quotes from @KLSDAD to remind us of the good memories.
I had no idea until this thread prompted me to try to figure out what it is that I like.

When just thirsty I'll drink the coldest and lightest thing I can find. When I'm going for taste I prefer stouts and porter.

I'll stand by my words...

That's twice you've referred to me as such! I'm starting to wonder whether that might be the Buckeye equivalent of "Bless his heart!" !!??

I was kinda curious how big an *** you made of yourself :smile:

Nice picture, Bill!

but he does take too many pictures some time :playfull: !!

Here's a thought.... I've always wanted to hike from Orchard Knob up to Missionary Ridge.

Have a great trip!

Bingo !!!

Great to meet and campaign with you Bobby! I go solo alot too....

Hmmmm... not sure how to take that.

... and you didn't invite me?!?!

That's going to be a long march but I'm in !!

Until we do...if we do...

Last edited:
Our good friend @Buckeye Bill knew him better than any of the rest of us. All 3 of us arrived at Chattanooga/Ringgold on Wednesday before the official start of the Chickamauga Muster in 2018. The 3 of us spent the next day together touring CW sites in Chattanooga. We broke camp well before sun-up that Thursday and were on Orchard Knob at first light. Darkness and rain chased us off Lookout Mountain later that day. In between, we visited Chattanooga National Cemetery, Missionary Ridge, Brown's Ferry and Signal Point. Bill and I chatted this morning about Chuck's passing and that day at Chattanooga. That was one of the best days of my life. R.I.P. @KLSDAD aka Chuck.

View attachment 407769
A nice post and a nice picture.

I had the pleasure to meet Chuck when he came here to Boonville a few years ago and Patrick H and I took him around the area to visit some Civil War sites. I next meet him at out gathering at Chickamauga when he came up to me and it was just like meeting an old friend. We spent the day riding around the battlefield. He was such a likeable and gracious guy and fun to be around, and I don't think he had a bad word for anyone. He will be missed, but not forgotten.

My condolences to his family. He was much too young to leave us.

I had the pleasure to meet Chuck when he came here to Boonville a few years ago and Patrick H and I took him around the area to visit some Civil War sites. I next meet him at out gathering at Chickamauga when he came up to me and it was just like meeting an old friend. We spent the day riding around the battlefield. He was such a likeable and gracious guy and fun to be around, and I don't think he had a bad word for anyone. He will be missed, but not forgotten.

My condolences to his family. He was much too young to leave us.
Well said.

Friends,

I received a message from Chuck's daughter this morning and she responded to me regarding this message board thread which I sent to her. She was very happy with all of the kind words about her father. I believe she will share this thread with her mom, her sister and with the rest of his family and friends.

God bless,
Bill

Last edited:
Friends,

I received a message from Chuck's daughter this morning and she responded to me regarding this message board post which I sent to her. She was very happy with all of the kind words about her father. I believe she will share this post with her mom, her sister and with the rest of his family and friends.

God bless,
Bill
I believe one of the family members registered and joined CWT as a member today.

Hi everyone

I'm Chuck's "middlest" daughter. It's so special to hear all of your memories of our dad. Of course I remember his many, many battlefield trips (especially the ones he dragged us to as kids, where we would burn off our pent-up road trip energy by running around on the grass while he read the plaques and literature), but I didn't realize how many events he attended and buddies he visited with around the country. Now that I think about it, he'd mention that he got to meet one or another of you when he'd tell us about whatever trip he just been on (often calling from the car on a long stretch of the drive home), but I never realized how special that must have been for him to connect in real life.

It's funny: any time we ever had a niche issue or interest, he'd tell us to find a forum. Us millennial kids were used to the internet being full of strangers, shallow one-off connections, and having an article to read for anything we need to know, so I never really took it seriously. I see now that he was thinking of you all: his community, true friends that he made around his biggest passion.

We're of course heartbroken. You never expect to lose your dad this early, and he was truly the best. But it really does warm my heart to hear of his kindness and generosity towards all of you. That's my daddy, through and through. So glad that his light reached you all.

Lizzie (the "L" in @KLSDAD)

Hi everyone

I'm Chuck's "middlest" daughter. It's so special to hear all of your memories of our dad. Of course I remember his many, many battlefield trips (especially the ones he dragged us to as kids, where we would burn off our pent-up road trip energy by running around on the grass while he read the plaques and literature), but I didn't realize how many events he attended and buddies he visited with around the country. Now that I think about it, he'd mention that he got to meet one or another of you when he'd tell us about whatever trip he just been on (often calling from the car on a long stretch of the drive home), but I never realized how special that must have been for him to connect in real life.

It's funny: any time we ever had a niche issue or interest, he'd tell us to find a forum. Us millennial kids were used to the internet being full of strangers, shallow one-off connections, and having an article to read for anything we need to know, so I never really took it seriously. I see now that he was thinking of you all: his community, true friends that he made around his biggest passion.

We're of course heartbroken. You never expect to lose your dad this early, and he was truly the best. But it really does warm my heart to hear of his kindness and generosity towards all of you. That's my daddy, through and through. So glad that his light reached you all.

We here are perhaps old school (being, generally, old) but we consider our fellow members something akin to family. Those who demonstrate special knowledge or helpful personalities are especially appreciated. Although I never met your dad I did appreciate his posts and considered him one of the more familial members. I was so sorry to hear of his passing; definitely too early. Just know that we here thought he was exceptional and won't forget him.

You are in my thoughts.

Hi everyone

Hi Lizzie

Thank you so much for your beautiful post. Know that your daddy's light did reach us and that he was a shining member of our CivilWarTalk family. As @John Winn said so eloquently above, we thought your dad was "exceptional." Not just in his knowledge of battlefields and the war and his willingness to share that passion with us --- but he was one of those people that you just like as soon as you meet them. Truly genuine, caring, and kind. I am so very sorry for your loss and pray that you and your family will find comfort in the days to come. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.

Best regards
Laura

Hi everyone

Thanks for giving us your personal story about your dad. Many of us here have the privilege and blessing to attend events together and get to know each other on a personal level. Your dad was one of us who was so privileged and blessed. He was fun to hang out with. I am so sorry that y'all lost him so soon and unexpectedly. I was shocked too. He was only about a month and a half older than me. After our get-together in October 2018, we talked about getting together again a couple of times. I regret that we were never able to swing that.

Back