Rest In Peace, Grandfather or as you knew him, @OldmanReb

memory.jpg

Everyone, I have recently been informed by my father that my grandpa has sadly passed away. You all knew him for a short time as @OldmanReb. My father sent out a message to one of his friends relaying the news. My grandfather had a case of mild covid, thanks to the vaccine, and was trying his best to stay active during his short stay in quarantine. Grandpa got up at 11 pm in his cabin and tripped on the side railing, which caused a punctured lung, grandpa then called my father, who rushed out of bed and to his cabin, and brought him to the hospital. Grandpa sadly was put on life support on arrival as his only lung had punctured and he could not breath completely. My father had to sign the form that allowed them to take him off life support at around 1-1:30 am as the doctor said he was already gone basically, and so they just decided to let him live a better life in heaven. I was just informed by a tearing father who over the phone couldn’t even be understood that well because he was crying profusely. My grandfather was with me when I shot my first deer, when I scored a 99 yard kickoff run back in high school, and ultimately made my life flourish, and now he is gone due to a slip. Sadly, the covid didn’t help as it already made his immune system and lung system weak and working hard. He went out with a short fight and never would have wanted it any different. I’m sorry if their is any spelling errors, I am currently trying to keep my cool while coping with this tragedy. God rest his soul.

William was a WWII and Korea veteran, and was in and out of hospitals with PTSD his entire life. William would be glad to know how many people care for him that haven’t even met him. When he announced his covid diagnosis, he met it with passion, and like his father did in 1918, planned on beating this. William planned on going to the Anietnam trip to meet other CWT members, but do to his loss I would please like his name of registry to be removed.

William was once the most bullied kid in his lifetime, and it caused him to drop out for enlistment. William was bullied as he had a full beard at 10, which I guess was not normal at the time. But William once said that beard did something to him, it caused him to meet his wife, to have loving children, and to cause an unbreakable bond with the military and military personnel, and he never looked back.

Rest In Peace not only my grandfather, but my hero. Grandpa’s obituary is on FindAGrave. It isn’t actually confirmed as the obituary but sums up his life and since I have the duty to making the obituary, it will be the draft of what it is. Just look up William Michael Lee. He loved you all dearly, and may him rest in paradise with the support of his companions, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm deeply sorry to hear we've lost OldmanReb. I'm stunned, it was only last week he interacted with one of my threads, and I was naturally interested to see someone with a Van Dorn avatar.

I trust that God will watch over you and your loved ones as you bear this loss; your grandfather has been rescued from the sufferings and trials of this world, and has gone ahead to his true home.

I am so sorry to hear this. You and you father and all other loved ones and friends have my sincere condolences. He would be very proud of your post.

I read his obit and found it very interesting. My late aunt was from Rankin County, Miss., immediately north of Simpson. She was also born in 1929 (died 5 years ago) and her uncle was a Confederate vet who was killed at Shiloh. She liked to surprise folks with that fact. I do wish I could have gotten to know your grandfather on this site and see what else we had in common.

Last edited:
Back