Resistance is mostly futile Peace Societies and Resistance Groups in the CSA

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
The purpose and agenda of this thread is to discuss peace and resistance groups in the CSA. This more of a discussion than a debate because I have no debatable proposition other than these groups existed.

One of the fallouts of the Lost Cause Historiography is the notion that the CSA was an united nation interested in Truth, Justice, and the American Way. As time went by first we found that nation was more interested in its investments in coerced labor than much of anything else. Then it came out that there were actually food riots first in Richmond with Davis fleeing from it, then wide spread food riots. Later horror of horrors there was armed resistance creating widows and orphans when suppressed. Sometime in there I found my ancestors hid out from CSA conscription gangs and a movie got made about the State of Jones. With books like
. p1.jpg
on the market, one gets the sense that the CSA was tottering on the brink of extinction from day one.

My more or less informed view is that the resistance in the CSA was a factor in it demise, one of several. A nation that could not afford any distractions and wasting of resources desperately needed for its war of independence was distracted and wasted resources on suppressing dissent. That has to be measured against the fact that over 4 years of hard war was needed to put the CSA in its grave, it gave stiff resistance up until the end and the survivors created the very persistent Lost Cause History and resisted Federal Government intrusion in Southern affairs with the blacks until my lifetime.

Lets discuss.

Please use references where possible.
Online resources preferred but not mandatory. If you use non online resources, please quote and do not assign reading assignments on books members don't have quick access to.