Researching John McClemmy, First Eastern Shore Infantry, A-Tr

RobertH

Private
I'm wondering if I can find any info on John McClemmy. Not a relative, but I have an 1851 Colt Navy that he brought back when he returned home from the war. It was supposedly a "battlefield pick up".

John McClemmy
First Eastern Shore Infantry, A-Tr
Enlisted in Princess Ann, Sommerset County, MD, in 1861
He was nineteen at time of enlistment

Ok, so that didn't take long. I just found this. I can probably find out where all the First Eastern went, but are there places to get more specific info on McClemmy?

JohnMcClemmy.JPG

lupaglupa

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Recods on Fold3 confirmed what you have there with a little more detail. John McClemmy enlisted Dec. 19, 1861. He shows up continuously on muster rolls through May of 1863. Then he deserted on June 10, 1863. July 21st Maj. Gen R. Schenck had him dishonorably dismissed. But McClemmy voluntarily returned to duty and Brig. Gen. Lockwood had him put back on the rolls in December of 1863. Again he shows up regularly on the muster rolls. But May 20, 1864 Co. John R. Keene (who I think is the commanding officer at the time) has him dismissed again. I'm attaching a card that describes some of this - it seems like there was a bureaucratic mix up in there somewhere.

McClemmy.png

lupaglupa

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Ancestry has a marriage record for John McClemmy and Mary Taylor in May of 1863 - that could explain why he deserted! The only other thing I get for him is a voter registration in Sonoma Count California in 1896. There's a family tree that shows him moving to CA and having one daughter, Wilhemina.

RobertH

Private
Recods on Fold3 confirmed what you have there with a little more detail. John McClemmy enlisted Dec. 19, 1861. He shows up continuously on muster rolls through May of 1863. Then he deserted on June 10, 1863. July 21st Maj. Gen R. Schenck had him dishonorably dismissed. But McClemmy voluntarily returned to duty and Brig. Gen. Lockwood had him put back on the rolls in December of 1863. Again he shows up regularly on the muster rolls. But May 20, 1864 Co. John R. Keene (who I think is the commanding officer at the time) has him dismissed again. I'm attaching a card that describes some of this - it seems like there was a bureaucratic mix up in there somewhere.

Thanks. So what are seeing as a possible mix up?

The 1st Reg Maryland got to Gettysburg July 2nd. So it looks like John bugged out prior to the battle of GB?

UNION MARYLAND VOLUNTEERS​

1st Regiment, Maryland Eastern Shore Infantry​

Overview: Organized at Cambridge, Md., September, 1861. Attached to Dix's Division, Army of the Potomac, to November, 1861. Eastern Shore Maryland and Virginia, Middle Department, to July, 1862. District Eastern Shore, 8th Army Corps, Middle Dept., to January, 1863. 1st Separate Brigade, 8th Army Corps, to June, 1863. Lockwood's Brigade, 8th Army Corps, to July, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, July, 1863. 2nd Brigade, Maryland Heights, Division West Virginia, to October, 1863. 3rd Separate Brigade, 8th Army Corps, to June, 1864. 1st Separate Brigade, 8th Army Corps, to September, 1864. Reserve Division, Harper's Ferry, W. Va., to February, 1865.

Service:Duty at Baltimore, Md., till November, 1861. Expedition to Accomac and Northampton counties November 14-23, 1861. Duty at Baltimore and on the Eastern Shore till June, 1863. Moved with Lockwood to Gettysburg, Pa., June 25-July 2. Battle of Gettysburg July 2-3. Pursuit of Lee July 5-24. Duty at Maryland Heights, W. Va., July 17 to October 5, 1863. Ordered to the Eastern Shore of Maryland and duty there till February, 1865. Company "A" mustered out by order of the War Department August 16, 1862. Regiment consolidated with 11th Maryland Infantry February 23, 1865.

lupaglupa

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
It looks like the paper work of the dismissal didn't get processed properly. You see on the card where it says "Lockwood said order never confirmed" - I think that he was discharged but it wasn't filed properly so when he came back they had to take hime back until all the paperwork was settled. Then they could fully discharge him.

How did you come by his pistol?

RobertH

Private
I bought it from the family. John McClemmy was their GreatGreatGreat+ Uncle. The story is that the pistol was a battlefield pick up/bring home. That's all they knew. I was just trying to trace his steps to see where he might have found it.

pix133259646.jpg