Research Assistance: Officer's reports

cwebster4

Private
I'm not sure I'm in the proper forum so please let me know if there is a better place to post this question.
I am trying to determine if an individual commander of a post seized just before the shooting war commenced would have been required to submit a report to his superiors detailing the capitulation of his post. Specifically, I am in search of a report by Brevet Major Joseph Haskin detailing his capitulation of the Baton Rouge Barracks and Arsenal in Jan 1861.
The ORs have some information, but a personal recounting by him or one of his subordinate officers could potentially clear up a lot of foggy details.

Thank you for any advice or assistance

I'm not sure I'm in the proper forum so please let me know if there is a better place to post this question.
I am trying to determine if an individual commander of a post seized just before the shooting war commenced would have been required to submit a report to his superiors detailing the capitulation of his post. Specifically, I am in search of a report by Brevet Major Joseph Haskin detailing his capitulation of the Baton Rouge Barracks and Arsenal in Jan 1861.
The ORs have some information, but a personal recounting by him or one of his subordinate officers could potentially clear up a lot of foggy details.

Thank you for any advice or assistance
Have you tried the Louisiana Archives?

https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/

Should anybody be wondering about the aforementioned part in the ORs, right over here.
Yes, I've seen those items, as I mentioned in my post. IMHO, there just is not enough detail provided. I actually found better detail in a letter written by Major Haskin's wife. Surrendering a fort seems like a big deal in my mind. Maybe it's just my 21st-century mind, but I would think there would have been a formal inquiry and a detailed report from Haskins and his other officers. Am I over-expecting from the military at that time?

I have a request for information in to them but have not yet heard back from them. Thank you.
I've tried to cover all my bases before bothering anyone in the forum.
Don't worry about bothering us, we are here to help each other. The link I sent was to the Louisiana digital archives as they is a TON on info there.

Back