Reproduction Original Stocks - Dunlap Woodcrafts

rebracer

Sergeant
Hello, after recommendations on here concerning a new stock for my M1842 project, I contacted Dunlap Woodcrafts about their reproduction stocks.

What are your experiences with these stocks? I did receive some answers from them to my questions but it is not clear to me that the ramrod channel will be cut as well as the recess for the ramrod spoon.

They did say the recesses for the band springs are not cut and I will have to do this which is not that big of a deal however properly locating them will be a challenge without an original stock for reference. Are there any patterns available for an original M1842 stock I could find to overlay and properly locate the areas to be cut?

Last edited:
Dunlop stocks are high enough quality. I would contact Lodgewood and ask Dave Stavlo about any existing patterns. Worst case he might be willing to make you one for a fee.

Good luck.

Ok, thank you. I have done a good bit of business with Lodgewood and actually sent him some questions about this, but havent heard back. I will have to call him.

Dunlap's stocks are good. Expect to do some shaping and inlet clean-up. For example, I'm building an 1851 Richmond musket with one of their stocks. The stock is their 1855 "three-band" stock. The forestock needs to be greatly reduced in size to fit the bands and overall, most of the stock will be reduced. Go slowly and use a lot of reference material. Keep your chisels razor sharp.

1861 Richmond lock.jpg

Good to know. Are you building the Richmond using all new parts?

Yes, I am. The lock and buttplate came from David Stavlo at Lodgewood. Dunlap's stock and the barrel from Whitacre's. It's one of those things I always wanted. Paul Davies' book is invaluable for reference. In a nutshell, a mixture of brass and steel parts with no cartouches is correct. The look I'm after is grabbing a new musket off of the rack. It'll age on its own with use.

My apologies, I should've typed "1861," not "1851" in my post from Saturday.

Yes, I am. The lock and buttplate came from David Stavlo at Lodgewood. Dunlap's stock and the barrel from Whitacre's. It's one of those things I always wanted. Paul Davies' book is invaluable for reference. In a nutshell, a mixture of brass and steel parts with no cartouches is correct. The look I'm after is grabbing a new musket off of the rack. It'll age on its own with use.

My apologies, I should've typed "1861," not "1851" in my post from Saturday.
Sounds like a nice project, do share when you get it done.

Back