Reproduction Civil War hairstyle!

Mrs. V

1st Lieutenant
The wonderful ladies at the Octogon Ladies Repository did reproduction styles for many who attended last Saturday’s Ohio Regimental Ball. For the paltry fee of 15 dollars they would give you any style you liked, and there was a whole board of styles to choose from.

My hairstylist here at home told me I should come in right before my trip to have him blow out my hair nice a straight and full. Ordinarily my hair curls in thin spirals, about 4 inches down from my scalp...I did that, and was very happy I took his advice. You should have heard the exclaimations when I took down my bun! I just told them to have fun, but that I did want a curl or two..they used the headpiece I hand sewed.

4B83DEFE-50F3-40D1-A4CE-6ED1C4C38EE9.jpeg

Last edited:
Those long curls were created by making two tiny pony tails and curling them, then pinning them up. They told me next year I should book a double appointment so that they could really go to town!

That must have been a blast! Yours was a kind of dream-style promoted in Godeys', too- cool to see it in 2019. Hang on, it's here somewhere, a few images.

Here, without front ringlets we can see- may have been there. Flowers covering those pinned braids, same effect.
hair back w flowers.jpg

What's weird is, have a family photo of JOK's sister wearing that dress- at least the neckline with raised dots.

Will dig in Godey's for your style- it's lovely. Any other shots from your day at the hair dressers?

That must have been a blast! Yours was a kind of dream-style promoted in Godeys', too- cool to see it in 2019. Hang on, it's here somewhere, a few images.

Here, without front ringlets we can see- may have been there. Flowers covering those pinned braids, same effect.
View attachment 293023
What's weird is, have a family photo of JOK's sister wearing that dress- at least the neckline with raised dots.

Will dig in Godey's for your style- it's lovely. Any other shots from your day at the hair dressers?
It was fun to take out...I messaged the gal who did it...she says next time she wants to do a top braid and a waterfall..do you have a pic of that..

It was fun to take out...I messaged the gal who did it...she says next time she wants to do a top braid and a waterfall..do you have a pic of that..

Ok, now you're encouraging me- it's just too fun getting into this stuff! Bet a gazillion bucks I do- tend to follow fashion around in old archives. Hang on.

You can't imagine how many files there are to look through- will make it a point to find that one. Those hair dressers have a crazy good idea! How fun must it be to do these styles instead of just looking at old images??

Sarah Hale, from a pre-war image- not quite a braided top knot, still getting there.
hale.jpg

hair many.jpg

hair top wave.jpg

Ok I give up- making a ' hair ' thread. Well, another one. Blaming you when it gets out of hand because they were so gosh darn pretty!

Back