reproduction cannon ordnance

m14msgt

Private
Are there any sellers who make/sell inert/repro cannon balls, rifled shells, etc for display/educational purposes?

@redbob is spot on as aaamunitions make some nice stuff

Perfect...just what I was looking for. Thank you.
Glad to help, I have several of their products that I use for show and tells and they are first class-actually better than the originals and not nearly so expensive.

yeah - i wanna get one of his canister rounds with the see-thru cut-away to show my college students.

Not sure myself but I'd imagine there is, maybe @drezac or @Albert Sailhorst can help. They're artillery guys. Also someone in the http://www.n-ssa.org/ may be able to help. They have live artillery fire at their meets.
I haven't done an internet search for replica shells in about 10 years. When I did, all I could find were ones made from resin. I am sure there are makers out there somewhere, perhaps those mentioned by other posters.

I haven't done an internet search for replica shells in about 10 years. When I did, all I could find were ones made from resin. I am sure there are makers out there somewhere, perhaps those mentioned by other posters.
If they are still in business, aaamunitions rounds were cast iron.

what do ya'll use to replicate the powder bags attached to the shell/shot?
The original powder bags were made of woolen serge material and tied onto the base of the wooden sabot (for canister or shot/shell balls) by heavy twine.
MVC-008F (3).jpg
Photo from aaamunitions.com

Last edited:
i tried searching for "woolen serge" but did not find anything that looks like the picture you attached. what are artillery reenactors using?

i tried searching for "woolen serge" but did not find anything that looks like the picture you attached. what are artillery reenactors using?
What you see above is cotton and that should work just fine. Serge was used in actual rounds because it tended not to hold sparks/smolder and cotton did. Also, I believe that the reproduction rounds may use dustless kitty litter in lieu of powder. I wish that I had had a professor that was interested enough in history to do what you are doing. Also, unless they are firing actual rounds; the powder charges that reenactors fire are usually powder inside of aluminum foil packets.

Last edited:
thanks for the kind words redbob...i will look into cotton and having my wife sew something together to make it look period correct.

Back