Reporting Live The Movie Capital - Louisiana on the Free State of Jones

JWheeler331

First Sergeant
Some of you may know that Louisiana offered many tax benefits for movie makers over the last few years and we have now surpassed even Hollywood as the Movie Capital having filmed more movies here than any other state last year.

Right now, they are filming a Civil War movie called Free State of Jones in the small town of Bush, Louisiana.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1124037/

I thought you may like a few photos from the set they are building. The photos are not the best but anyways.......

F6EEE58E-F094-4EFD-83F3-502AC5FDCF3A.jpg

12617161-3184-4BEB-A577-700DE9FB961A.jpg

E4352D61-6863-48A9-9BFF-E1E8D0D2CD53.jpg

Canon Balls anyone?

A62265A9-1C51-44EF-B692-5ADE677A6C76.jpg

Well .......sort of...

92BB89D2-5AB0-4A0B-96FF-EEAABA5123CA.jpg

They are made from Styrofoam what appears to be crab trap floats.

Last edited:
Some of you may know that Louisiana offered many tax benefits for movie makers over the last few years and we have now surpassed even Hollywood as the Movie Capital having filmed more movies here than any other state last year.

Right now, they are filming a Civil War movie called Free State of Jones in the small town of Bush, Louisiana.

I thought you may like a few photos from the set they are building. The photos are not the best but anyways.......

Canon Balls anyone?

Well .......sort of...

Thanks for sharing these photos! Always fun to see how movies are made.

Lest we not forget my acquaintance, in "Streetcar Named Desire"...Geez, when I first met him in Tahiti, I couldn't believe my eyes...I did my impression of him for him--he told me breakfast was on him the following morning on his island...what an experience. (By then, he was huge, but the stories...:O o:)
Did he at least put on pants?

I have some Landrum relatives who lived in Jones and fought, depending on who you talk to, either under Newt Knight heading one of his companies, or as heads of a separate and arguably more successful guerrilla band which got lumped in with Knight by the Federals looking for them.

Excusez-moi, but I just can't resist putting in a plug for my....
FAVORITE LOUISIANA MOVIE OF ALL TIME:

Hey, Freestater, this is an amazing trailer! I've never even heard of this movie. How did I manage to miss it? Well...it DOES look like an art house sort of flick, and those aren't always very well promoted--especially in small towns like mine. The thing that intrigues me is that it is appears to be a genuine film noire--maybe disjointed from the rest of that genre by forty or fifty years. I love noires!

Patrick

Did he at least put on pants?

I have some Landrum relatives who lived in Jones and fought, depending on who you talk to, either under Newt Knight heading one of his companies, or as heads of a separate and arguably more successful guerrilla band which got lumped in with Knight by the Federals looking for them.
He would never take off this ugly straw hat!:eek: But the stories he told me...unbelievable!:O o:

Canon Balls anyone?

Well .......sort of...

Very cool!!!

Hey, Freestater, this is an amazing trailer! I've never even heard of this movie. How did I manage to miss it? Well...it DOES look like an art house sort of flick, and those aren't always very well promoted--especially in small towns like mine. The thing that intrigues me is that it is appears to be a genuine film noire--maybe disjointed from the rest of that genre by forty or fifty years. I love noires!

Patrick
I posted that particular trailer because it really captures that noir Louisiana feel of the movie! But the actual movie -- as opposed to a trailer on a computer screen -- is filmed in a black-and-white that just shimmers; as gritty as it is, it is somehow one of the most visually beautiful films I've seen. The other huge thing that the above trailer doesn't show is just how funny it is. Jim Jarmusch's dialogue is absolutely splendid; and Waits, Lurie and Benigni turn in some of the most darkly (in the case of Waits and Lurie) and brightly (in the case of Benigni) comic performances you can imagine. If you see it, let me know how you like it! It's one of my Top 20 or so movies of all time, I'd say. This mix of clips gives an idea of the comedy. (Gosh, I may just have to take the video off the shelf right now and watch that movie tonight for the umpteenth time!)

Last edited:
Lest we not forget my acquaintance, in "Streetcar Named Desire"...Geez, when I first met him in Tahiti, I couldn't believe my eyes...I did my impression of him for him--he told me breakfast was on him the following morning on his island...what an experience. (By then, he was huge, but the stories...:O o:)
What? Do tell. Details, please! (you can't just drop something like that on us and not finish the story!)

Canon Balls anyone?

Well .......sort of...

The Rebs should have used styrofoam, but the blockade cut off delivery of packages with packing material.

Back