Repeating battery (caliber 1 inch)

Kelly408

Private
In The War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies I came across a description that puzzled me. On page 181, about 2/3's of the way down, there is a listing for a captured gun in Columbia, SC by Sherman's troops described only as (one) "Repeating battery (caliber 1 inch)". I'm not having any success as finding out what this was. I do have a friend in Columbia that found a 1-inch "minie ball" in a cemetery there, but he's not sure what it's from either other than, in his words, a repeating cannon. Anyone have a guess?

I noticed that, however many times the information in reports may not be exact - so even though it stated 1" it may have actually been slightly larger or smaller. They may have just estimated the caliber of the gun when it was captured. Also, the OR's were transcribed either from the originals or a letterpress copy of the information that was sent. Between the variations in handwriting and readability of the original documents, it's unlikely that the OR's are completely accurate. I have spent many hours researching both Original documents and letterpress copies in my research on the Ohio State House guns. Many times these documents are not 100% legible and you need to make a "best Guess" as to some of the words.

Back