Repaired statue of Confederate Soldier Reinstalled at Camp Chase

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

MattL

Glad to see it being repaired. Statue and monument vandalism has always been a problem and whatever the motivation I think it has no place in a democracy. Each context has its own process for enacting change in public decoration. Whether it's raising, removing, or repairing. If that locality and legitimate process has established a monument should exist where it is then I am against it's vandalism and for it's maintaining just like I'm for it being relocated if that same context comes to a different conclusion, whatever my view on the matter.

Union League

Private
I had a great great grandfather (civilian, Western Virginia) incarcerated at Camp Chase I suppose for suspected Confederate sympathies. He took the oath and they let him go home.

16thVA

First Sergeant
I had a great great grandfather (civilian, Western Virginia) incarcerated at Camp Chase I suppose for suspected Confederate sympathies. He took the oath and they let him go home.
Hello Union League,
You might be able to find some information on your g-grandfather in my database of civilian arrests from West Virginia. I haven't quite finished but I'm close. Just type his name in the "search" and if it's there it should show up in the "Camp Chase" or "Civilian Arrests" pages. I don't think all the Camp Chase books are available, I know the Ohio Historical Society has two, the ones I transcribed are at the Family Search website.

West Virginia - The Other History

Union League

Private
Hello Union League,
You might be able to find some information on your g-grandfather in my database of civilian arrests from West Virginia. I haven't quite finished but I'm close. Just type his name in the "search" and if it's there it should show up in the "Camp Chase" or "Civilian Arrests" pages. I don't think all the Camp Chase books are available, I know the Ohio Historical Society has two, the ones I transcribed are at the Family Search website.

West Virginia - The Other History
Thanks. I do have a copy of his oath.

Snowbound

Private
Good to hear about the monument. I found my 3rd great grandfather, James Tincher, in your database as a captured guerrilla from Fayette County. He was interned along with two of his sons from the 79th Militia. It appears all were released, however Albert Tincher (misspelled Tinchey on marker) was recaptured as a member of the 21st Va Cav. He died in camp Dec '64. I'll have to get my cousin living in Columbus to take photos.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Whenever I was there as part of a Confederate Honor Guard, I was always struck by the quiet, the loneliness, I could feel for these men at rest in their places. Sadness that none of these men never got home to their loved ones and friends and families.

I'm glad that they are remembered by the one thing that war and history could never take away from them.

The title, "American's."

W. Richardson

Captain
The citizens will have to decide on what message was being sent, to honor the passing of soldiers or to promote a cause.

Unionblue

But that's the problem UB. In most of these instances, the local politicians are not listening to the local citizens. They listen to a handful, a mob, who have been bused in, who hold protest, demanding a memorial to be removed.

Why not let the local citizens vote on it? It could be voted on when ever the next local elections are held. I have been involved in several local issues with Memorials being removed or being demanded to be removed. One had a petition they presented to the local commissioners, calling for the removal of a Memorial on the court house grounds, they had, at that time, 57 signed names, 33 did not live in the county, out of those 33, 17 didn't even live in the state.

How often have we heard "those Memorials belong in a museum, or a cemetery"?

In Pittsboro, NC they are going to remove a Memorial from where it now resides because some have complained, the Memorial resides on the grounds of the Chatham County Historical Museum !!!!. This isn't about "oh it offend me" or "I am oppressed".................It is about nothing less than hate minded revenge.

In Durham, and Chapel Hill NC, a lawless mob toppled Memorials , took the law in their own hands. The police Departments were ORDERED to stand down as this was taking place.............Is this your vision of America?

I am more than willing to have the local people decide, but not at a commissioners meeting, put it to the people to vote on. Let the government work, a government by the people, for the people, and of the people..............ALL the people, not a small mob.

Respectfully,
William

Paul Yancey

Private
But that's the problem UB. In most of these instances, the local politicians are not listening to the local citizens. They listen to a handful, a mob, who have been bused in, who hold protest, demanding a memorial to be removed.

Why not let the local citizens vote on it? It could be voted on when ever the next local elections are held. I have been involved in several local issues with Memorials being removed or being demanded to be removed. One had a petition they presented to the local commissioners, calling for the removal of a Memorial on the court house grounds, they had, at that time, 57 signed names, 33 did not live in the county, out of those 33, 17 didn't even live in the state.

How often have we heard "those Memorials belong in a museum, or a cemetery"?

In Pittsboro, NC they are going to remove a Memorial from where it now resides because some have complained, the Memorial resides on the grounds of the Chatham County Historical Museum !!!!. This isn't about "oh it offend me" or "I am oppressed".................It is about nothing less than hate minded revenge.

In Durham, and Chapel Hill NC, a lawless mob toppled Memorials , took the law in their own hands. The police Departments were ORDERED to stand down as this was taking place.............Is this your vision of America?

I am more than willing to have the local people decide, but not at a commissioners meeting, put it to the people to vote on. Let the government work, a government by the people, for the people, and of the people..............ALL the people, not a small mob.

Respectfully,
William
Well said. We live in a society where all too often the vocal minority call the shots for the silent majority. Remember who these politicians are come election time.

W. Richardson

Captain
Well said. We live in a society where all too often the vocal minority call the shots for the silent majority. Remember who these politicians are come election time.

The problem is the silent majority and them remaining silent, but it is starting to change. My worst fear is when the silent majority is pushed too far. Every side has lunatics and once the line is crossed I am afraid to see what the lunatics from each side will do. When I say sides I do not refer to Black and White, I refer to the for and against sides.

Respectfully,
William

Paul Yancey

Private
In his book "1984", George Orwell stated the warning - "Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book has been rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street and building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And that process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

This could be used as the playbook for those who wish to destroy our common history.

Ole Miss

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Making generalized statements about any sector of our society is foolish and wrong. Blanket statements about people who dispay Confederate flags is the modern day version of jingosim as all are not the same. We as a nation are better than that.
Regards
David