Renown Mississippi Historian & Author To Speak at CWT Invades Vicksburg

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
I ran into an old friend of mine at the Brandon CW Show, Grady Howell. Grady is a retired historian from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History and author of 23 books on Mississippi CW history. I ask him if he would mind coming over to speak at our annual gather at Vicksburg. I just got an email from him saying he would love address our group. We have him scheduled for Friday night at 6pm in our war room at the Hampton. It should be a GREAT presentation.

I'm also working on another VERY special guest and as soon as I get confirmation I will post it but I will give you a clue. He found the USS Cairo

https://www.northsidesun.com/opinion-columns/grady-howell-writing-and-history#sthash.HEo5oN2N.dpbs

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/cwt-invades-vicksburg-2019-tour-the-official-thread.155709/

grady.JPG

Oddly enough I just got my copy of Hill of Death: Battle of Champion Hill today in the mail.
He is a GREAT author and a true friend, he helped me in locating several CS camps in Mississippi that was was looking for.

I'm also working on another VERY special guest and as soon as I get confirmation I will post it but I will give you a clue. He found the USS Cairo

CLIVE CUSSLER???? :laugh:

But seriously.... that narrows it down to precisely three men. :wink: And one of them passed away a few years ago, sadly.

[Way to upstage my planned Cairo talk! :roflmao: ]

But seriously.... that narrows it down to precisely three men. :wink: And one of them passed away a few years ago, sadly.

Hopefully a little overlapping won't hurt, it's going to be hard for me to talk about Vicksburg's artillery without infringing on your watery turf just a tad.:unsure:

He is known to show up at the boat unannounced and just start talking to the folks. I really hope he can make but after you message I'm going to call him and tell him I sorry but we already have a Cairo expert:D

He is known to show up at the boat unannounced and just start talking to the folks. I really hope he can make but after you message I'm going to call him and tell him I sorry but we already have a Cairo expert:D
The more the merrier I say.

ask a native Vicksburger
He is known to show up at the boat unannounced and just start talking to the folks.
I heard that one time, he (who shall not be named yet) showed up and was telling a group of people about how he found the Cairo. One of the party - a concerned citizen - apparently went into the visitor center and told the park service employee on duty that there was a crazy old man out there telling people that he found the Cairo. The NPS ranger, without even looking out there, said, "Yep. He sure did." :bounce:

Last edited:
Yep That's a true story but he really does love to talk to folks. I should here back from his wife next week. Grady told me to tell him he would be there which will surly get him to come if able he is 92 and live in Utica. I'm going to pay for him and his wife's room which is a small price for what he brings to the table. Plus I will have some very rare items that came off the Cairo that are going to be loaned to me by the son in law of the 3rd man who was there when she broke the waters of the Yazoo River.

Back