WI Removal of List of POW Dead from Cemetery

Unfortunately, most of the names were poorly transcribed. It is VERY difficult to match the names on the headstones or the monument to the actual members of the regiment. In most cases, the names do not match any member of the regiment and so no way to positively identify who the men were. The first four or five I did took hours.

Im going alphabetically and currently down to Bracken, John. The only cards in the file for John Bracken are the ones from Camp Randall showing he died there. Is he John Boykin? John Bradford? J R Bradford? J B Bradley? J R Bradley? J W Brantley? John M Brantley? J M Brentley? I honestly have no idea. And this is just one man. Out of 140.

Imagine the difficulty in determining who all 140 were. Then finding them in the US Census. Then tracking down their descendants today. :nah disagree: It would be impossible. Once someone is dead and buried, it seems there should be no doubt that he and his gravesite, headstone, and marker would remain undisturbed. Even if he is nearly 1000 miles away from home.

EDIT TO ADD: I am certainly not trying to be argumentative.....but I feel like I "have a dog in this hunt." These boys were from Alabama. It is certainly not their fault that they were captured, died, and were buried nearly 1000 miles from their homes. I'm sure you would share a similar sentiment if they were boys from New Hampshire. And I would share it with you, but not with the same level of emotion that results from the geographic connection.

You are so right Ashley.

I didn't even think to mention that I am having to look at BOTH the gravestone of each man and the marker in order to try and connect these men to their carded records and US census records! A huge reason that the marker listing their names should remain.

BTW - when I am able to positively identify one, I am adding the info, the carded records, and an image of the US Census to their Find-A-Grave memorial. But so far, Ive only been able to positively ID 4 or 5 - out of 140. :nah disagree:
Your efforts are really appreciated.

In a way, I am glad to be near the end of my tour in this society. If I were a young man, I would absolutely seceed from this madness and erasing of Heritage and History because of a bunch of historically illiterate punks who knows not what suffering and sacrifice really is!!!
Does anyone remember the movie "Poltergeist"? I sincerely hope it is real and happens in Madison.

Imagine my surprise. "Those people" are so ashamed of "what" they are, they don't even realize "who" they have become.

I sincerely hope this comes back to haunt each and every individual involved in this infantile decision! It is entirely possible some had distant relatives who laid to rest there. Those type of people are a discgrace to our human race and should be told so. I hope they all read this as I will do my part every time in keeping the tradition of our History alive through communication and continued study. There is nobody who dare take that from me! If this sounds anti society, then so be it! I would rather secceed from society than fall in tune with their "popular" viewpoints. God bless what was the United States of America!

That decision seems misguided and based on misunderstandings. History cannot be selectively changed or suppressed to suit any ideological agendas. To record the past via factually inscribed monuments or markers is not the same as to celebrate what happened at a particular place.

One needs to know about the past, to understand the present, and evolve.

The monument listing the 140 CSA soldiers who died as POWs at Camp Randall, Madison, Wis has been removed. Here's the article from the Wisconsin State Journal:

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/confederate-monument-removed-from-forest-hill-cemetery-given-to-veterans/article_d5d9e994-9548-5fb9-9d46-6750a46f1cff.ht
There is a lawsuit to return the monument.

Last edited:

I work in Madison. I plan to get over to Confederate Rest when the weather gets better. I'm sure it's going to take years to get this monument restored. Camp Randall was a huge center for training as well. I think there is a commemorative arch there. I'll be sure to post photos of course!

Back