WI Removal of List of POW Dead from Cemetery

I sometimes screw up in entering stuff. The above post # 180 looks as if I wrote it - I may have entered my reply incorrectly. The post is actually mostly unionblue's post # 179, and my only reply to his post was the bottom line, where I talk about "In reference to.." Hey I turned 73 today - gotta give us old guys some leeway.

We should probably get back on track before the administrator says "ahem". To sum it up - I agree that the good folks of Madison had the right to do what they wanted, and I am sure it was all done legally and correctly. But the rest of us have the right to criticize any city or state government anywhere if we think they are doing something wrong. "unionblue" talks about "only the living care" - er... who else would?

Reactions: Sbc
Hubby wants to go to the movies tonight, so I have to run but I just had to respond to this real quick. It's important.
My wonderful dear friend, I have never underestimate this.
With my back ground, my experiences - the journey that I am undertaking now in discovering my heritage - I am quite familiar with controversy. :cold: Lots of it. I could write a book.

Blessings to you Matt for always wanting to express all sides of the issues in a kind and caring way.
:thumbsup:

If you ever wrote a book on such I would happily buy it. What do Americans like more than controversy? Reading or talking about controversy!

Hope you enjoyed the movie.

Unknown Union dead buried in Confederate cemeteries...

Dalton, Ga.
View attachment 206966

Appomattox, Va.
View attachment 206969

You do realize that the OP refers to an action that is not removing the Confederate dead or their individual headstones (and any trace) of them, right? I'm just checking since I'm not sure what this has to do with the specific monument the OP article talks about removing.

I just spent about a half hour on the website for United Daughters of the Confederacy https://www.hqudc.org/ and could not find anything remotely racist or promoting ****. They seem like a fairly innocuous group of nice ladies who have genteel get-togethers and raise money for monuments remembering their ancestors who fought and died in the Lost Cause.

I also searched online using the term “daughters of the confederacy controversy” and I can’t seem to find any actual evidence of racism, covert or otherwise.

I’m calling bulls*** on these allegations.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/pe...he-term-lost-cause.149706/page-4#post-1895370

There are plenty of other posts on this forum regarding their controversial history (keeping in mind this monument was raised in 1906 so historical context is important for the raising of the monument itself).

This is not to say everything they have done or do is bad.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/pe...he-term-lost-cause.149706/page-4#post-1895370

There are plenty of other posts on this forum regarding their controversial history (keeping in mind this monument was raised in 1906 so historical context is important for the raising of the monument itself).

This is not to say everything they have done or do is bad.
Matt, it seems you and I are related. Matthew H Shipman was my 3rd Great Grandfather. His son, James William Shipman, was my 2nd Great Grandfather. James married Elizabeth Scribner, whose father was Redin Scribner.
Small world!

Matt, it seems you and I are related. Matthew H Shipman was my 3rd Great Grandfather. His son, James William Shipman, was my 2nd Great Grandfather. James married Elizabeth Scribner, whose father was Redin Scribner.
Small world!

Wow, hello cousin. Since he's my 5th great grandfather (a line of young parents so quick generations) I think that would make us 6th cousins 2x removed.

Here's my ancestry thread
https://civilwartalk.com/threads/mattls-civil-war-ancestry.119273/

Feel free to hop on and chat about our shared ancestry :smile: (Or create one of your own, just pass me the link).

In reference to your last paragraph about "outsiders" - isn't that what the South felt in 1861?

We are still talking about the locals who made the choice about the cemetery, aren't we?

And after reading your later post, yes, you have the right to comment on their actions, just as I have the right to comment on your comments about their actions.

We apparently disagree on the living's actions concerning the long already departed.

The living, in my opinion, have much more important things to worry about.

In my view, when I'm dead, I won't care much what the living think or do.

But that's me.

Last edited:
In reference to your last paragraph about "outsiders" - isn't that what the South felt in 1861?

We are still talking about the locals who made the choice about the cemetery, aren't we?

And after reading your later post, yes, you have the right to comment on their actions, just as I have the right to comment on your comments about their actions.

We apparently disagree on the living's actions concerning the long already departed.

The living, in my opinion, have much more important things to worry about.

In my view, when I'm dead, I won't care much what the living think or do.

But that's me.

I'm good with that. I won't comment further on your comments about my comments on your comments about my comments of their actions. ( Friends gave me a birthday dinner tonight - I don't know what I drank but it was good. )
Seriously - I actually enjoyed discussing this with you - and I appreciate your respect for my views even though you are not 100 % with them.

I'm good with that. I won't comment further on your comments about my comments on your comments about my comments of their actions. ( Friends gave me a birthday dinner tonight - I don't know what I drank but it was good. )
Seriously - I actually enjoyed discussing this with you - and I appreciate your respect for my views even though you are not 100 % with them.

And I enjoyed discussing this issue with you in a give-and-take manner that it took place.

Until our next post,
Unionblue
PS: Happy Birthday.

This is a cemetery monument, marking the final resting place for 140 men. All because it "brings up memories that are not so pleasant...." At least, it appears, they aren't going to further desecrate the graves.
Sad state of affairs, even for Madison, Wisconsin.

I totally agree with you, but this is the result of that "slippery slope". Once allowed to remove other "it offends me" items (I use items due to using the other words that have become a no no to speak of) it was sure to continue down this path. This is not the last "slope" either. It should have never been allowed in the first place. I lay the blame on all those who supported those actions.

At some point people are going to be killed..............

Respectfully,

William

One Nation, two countries
Confed-American Flag.jpg

Completely dismaying - but I couldn't read any of the articles with the link attached - I kept running into paywalls. But I know what it is about. I wonder who the person was that got the burr under their saddle and made this into a thing when it wasn't a thing.

Do you really have to ask? It only takes two words "I'm offended" And who is it that cries "I'm offended" ?

Need I say more......................

Respectfully,

William

Confed-American Flag.jpg

So I'm not content to just say "well, that's the system so it's fine whatever they decide to do." It's not fine.

I agree John, and it is those type of people who think that way, who are a part of the problem and have allowed the continual slide down the "slippery slope" The "fence straddlers" who can't take a stand, by not taking a stand against these type of actions, is in fact supporting these type of actions.

Respectfully,

William

Confed-American Flag.jpg

Back