Remington Revolver

K

kilgore

I have a Remington revolver numbered 65981. On the barrel you can just read 'Patented' and below that 'Remington' and then 'New York, USA' or 'Newark, USA'. Everything else has been worn away. On the brass trigger gaurd there is what looks like a 'D'. It is 8" from the cylander to the end of the barrel but the barrel itself is 6 1/4" long. Everything moves. Is this a New Model Army Percussion and can someone tell me its approxiamate value? I know nothing about its history. Thanks for any and all replies.

WJC

Major General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
I have a Remington revolver numbered 65981. On the barrel you can just read 'Patented' and below that 'Remington' and then 'New York, USA' or 'Newark, USA'. Everything else has been worn away. On the brass trigger gaurd there is what looks like a 'D'. It is 8" from the cylander to the end of the barrel but the barrel itself is 6 1/4" long. Everything moves. Is this a New Model Army Percussion and can someone tell me its approxiamate value? I know nothing about its history. Thanks for any and all replies.
On both the Army .44 and Navy .36, the top of the barrel is marked
"PATENTED SEPT. 14. 1858
E. REMINGTON & SONS. ILION. NEWYORK. U.S.A
NEW-MODEL"
Value depends on condition. A good source of information is Norman Flayderman, Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms and Their Values (Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms & Their Values).
(Iola, WI: Gun Digest Books, 2007). There may be a more recent edition available....