Remington M1841 w/ Harpers Ferry Long Range alteration

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
Every once in a while something grand comes along. I present an M1841 Remington marked 1853 with Harpers Ferry Long range alteration. Several years ago I came across this very rifle at a show but could not begin to afford it. I helped ID the weapon to August Wishman of F Cos 4th MN VI, though it is a very sketchy provenance. Saturday while working at the museum I chose to take a glimpse at what Mr Dennis Fulmer had for sale on his site. Low and behold there was that very same rifle. A short conversation with my gloriously lovely wife allowed me to purchase it. It arrived today. The "A W" I remembered was carved into the wood of the patchbox proving it to be the same weapon from years ago. I now own two M1841's with provenance, however shaky, to members of the 4th MN along with a muster roll. She has seen hard use in her day but the best part is that she appears perfectly shootable.

My Rem bore.jpg
My Remington Long Range Alteration 1841rifle.jpg
My Remington M1841 2.jpg
My Remington M1841.jpg

You firearms experts have so many names or variations of weapons so as a mere novice is this the Mississippi rifle but a variant?.

It is a beautiful rifle.
Officially it is a Harpers Ferry Type 3 long range sight alteration. Originally made by Remington in 1853 Harpers Ferry received this one and modified it with the M1855 Rifle rear slide sight, bored it to .58 and added a bayonet lug for the M1855 Sabre bayonet. This would have been done in 1858/59.

the 4th MN received a full equipage of M1841 by the time they reached St Louis. they were issued a variety of different models of M1841 as well as 1 company receiving M1855 Rifles.
After Vicksburg they were given the opportunity to trade for P53’s they opted to keep their M1841’s & M1855. They would maintain at least some of the M1841’s through the end of the war.

Beautiful addition to your collection! A very nice wife is the true treasure 😃
Regards
David
I am a very lucky man in regards to my wife. She not only encourages my passion in history she participates. I’ve been told she portrays on of the only women of color in the region. Her cooking demonstrations always steal the show.

I’m allowed a new firearm every other year to keep our finances straight. This year was our 20th anniversary. We weren’t able to ride the armoire Builder to Glacier because of Covid. But when I showed the pictures of this rifle and explained it’s significance she told me to get it.

I married a goddess.

I too married up! Have been blessed for 48 1/2 years as she tolerates my foolishness and allows me to collect books! Much cheaper than weaponary and easier to store.
Regards
David
I think my library is only around 1000 books or so, a lot in the attic. My wife has several hundred as well. My father has probably around 7-800. My family is from a long line of readers.

My father only has around 100 firearms with mine we’re at about 125 +/-. A long way to go but a forgiving wife helps.
Our ACW collection is about 25 between us. Last summer a few of us put together a display with over 50 original arms on display at the Olmstead County History Weekend. It was quite breathtaking. I believe their was a repro Hall carbine Henry and my repro Colt Alteration M1841 to let people paw.

I thought I married up with my husband, because he puts up with my hobbies but a couple of years ago at Thanksgiving dinner, my older sister suddenly (and kind of randomly) told my husband, "you know you married up don't you?", and he fervently agreed, so I guess it all evens out and we are all lucky.

Back