Remembering the Fredericksburg Dead of the Irish Brigade in Queens, N.Y. Dec. 15. 2018 Photo Tour

fre2.JPG

One interesting aspect is that the monument is located in Calvary Park in the middle of Calvary Cemetery. It is the only park in New York City completely surrounded by a cemetery. You can see the NYC Park sign on the fence.
fre4.JPG

Great shots, Pat. Thanks for posting. I just love photos of events like this. They take me for a wee while into places where I've never been and in, all probability, never will be.
Micky.

The Roman Catholic Calvary Cemetery dates back to 1845, but the Union Burial Ground there and the tiny Calvary Park had their origins during the Civil War. The large monument was one of the first such erected after the Civil War. Here is the description from the New York City Parks Department:

On April 28, 1863, the City of New York purchased the land for this park from the Trustees of St. Patrick's Cathedral and granted Parks jurisdiction over it. The land transaction charter stated that Parks would use the land as a burial ground for soldiers who fought for the Union during the Civil War (1861-65) and died in New York hospitals. Parks is responsible for the maintenance of the Civil War monument, the statuary, and the surrounding vegetation. Twenty-one Roman Catholic Civil War Union soldiers are buried here. The last burial took place in 1909.

This park is one of many public parks that serve as burial grounds. There are burial sites in Fort Greene Park (the Prison Ship Martyrs' Monument) and Prospect Park, in Brooklyn, and in Drake Park, Pelham Bay Park, and Van Cortlandt Park, in the Bronx. Other parks throughout the city were once potter's fields which had no grave markers. Washington Square, Union Square, Madison Square, and James J. Walker Parks in Manhattan and Wayanda Park in Queens were all cemeteries for paupers and drifters.

The monument features bronze sculptures by Daniel Draddy, fabricated by Maurice J. Power, and was dedicated in 1866. Mayor John T. Hoffman (1866-68) and the Board of Aldermen donated it to the City of New York. The 50-foot granite obelisk, which stands on a 40 by 40 foot plot, originally had a cannon at each corner, and a bronze eagle once perched on a granite pedestal at each corner of the plot. The column is surmounted by a bronze figure representing peace. Four life-size figures of Civil War soldiers stand on the pedestals. In 1929, for $13,950, the monument was given a new fence, and its bronze and granite details replaced or restored. The granite column is decorated with bronze garlands and ornamental flags. In 2007, the NYC Parks Citywide Monuments Conservation Program completed a pilot conservation of the one intact bronze figural sculpture—the engineer (axeman). The survey is intended to be used as specifications for a comprehensive restoration in the future.

By the time the wreath laying was finished, the rain started falling more steadily. I decided not to take a lot more photos. This monument has a twin at Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn, by the way. The Brooklyn monument has been beautifully restored. The Queens version has only been about a quarter restored. There was some damage to an otherwise nice railing. Two plaques were missing. Three of the figures of Civil War soldiers need restoration and cleaning. I will post a few more shots and try to go back on a nice day.

calmon2.JPG

Back