Remembering the Fredericksburg Dead of the Irish Brigade in Queens, N.Y. Dec. 15. 2018 Photo Tour

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
fred1.JPG

The Battle of Fredericksburg took place 156 years ago this week. Today, in Calvary Cemetery in Queens the New York National Guard held its annual memorial service for the men of the Irish Brigade who gave their lives at Fredericksburg. Over several posts, I will upload photos of the event.

There were about 100 people on hand for the ceremony, about half of whom were members of the New York National Guard. Most of the guard were from 88th Area Command, the successor to the 88th NYSV of the Civil War, and the Fighting 69th NY, probably the best known regiment in the New York Guard with a history dating back before the Civil War.

The program began in the small chapel, which has great acoustics. The priest prayed for the repose of the souls those who had died far from their New York homes and even further from their birthplaces.

fred2.JPG

The participants then marched to the New York City Civil War Monument on a hill near the chapel. They were led by four reenactors from the 69th NYSV Color Guard. The 69th color guard was made up of Ron McGovern, Kevin Ryan, John Turvey, and Bruce Crelin. A bagpiper and drummer from the 88th NY National Guard followed.

fred8.JPG

The color guard of the 88th Area Command of the NY National Guard carries the green flag of the 88th NYSV among its flags. The flag is emblazoned with its battles, including Fredericksburg.

fred9.JPG

I am not sure if you can tell, but it was raining lightly througout the ceremony. I give everyone a lot of credit for persevering through difficult conditions to honor the men of the old brigade.

Pat
"When I went over to ask the reenactors a question, they asked me if I was Pat Young who wrote about immigrants during the Civil War. I felt honored."

You certainly deserve the recogntion after all the research and writting you have provided for the public!

Is this cemetery near Cypress Hills National Cemetery? The scenery is very reminiscent of the National Cemetery.
Regards
David

Back