Remembering Our Fallen, Your Ancestor On Memorial Day

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
becker dedication.jpg

Using Becker's eye witness image from November, 1863. The National Cemetery at Gettysburg, Adams County Pennsylvania was dedicated before all those fallen the previous July could be interred there. Men were still dying elsewhere and violent death continued for another full year plus. We laid those to rest, too.

Some of them we feel we knew because a few generations post war we still remember them. Seeing the name of a family member killed in battle generations before you were born brings us closer to the rest. They're all ours. Asking members to please put names to some of those headstones, your ancestors who didn't come home.

Memorial Day remembers those whose service ended on some battlefield, wearing the uniform put on when swearing to protect all of us- no matter what. Long rows of headstones in Arlington, at Gettysburg, Shiloh, Ball's Bluff, City Point and cemeteries across our country awful yet sacred reminders what it means. To serve.

From the Joint Resolution of the Senate and House of Representatives, required the by the Secretary of War, 1866.

.. preserve from desecration the graves of soldiers of the United States who fell in battle or died of disease in hospitals; to secure suitable burial places in which they may be properly interred; and to have the graves enclosed so that the resting places of the honored dead may be kept sacred forever.

national cem families.jpg

There are crosses, headstones and fresh earth in this image. There are also little groups looking down, the name they'd come to see found, moments of grief and loss frozen for us. It's a little chilling and hugely sobering. They were all us.

I'll start. From any war, any cemetery or no cemetery. It's not about my family, it's everyone's.

James Polk Knox Huson, 126th New York, Penn Yan, New York, killed Day 2 when Co B was detailed to clear snipers from the Bliss barn. Between battlefield burial and Bigg's crew enough time had elapsed his grave's ID was lost. He's an unknown in New York's section, grgrgrandfather's brother.

Huson JPK resized.jpg

David Adams, 11th Pennsylvania, killed Day 1 at Gettysburg, in the same action that saw Iverson's Brigade vanish, grgrgrandmother's brother. Also buried as unknown in Gettysburg's National Cemetery.

Samuel Huson, killed at Shiloh ' in the first wave through camp ', 14th Illinois. Battlefield grave marker also lost, now one of the regiment's unknowns at Shiloh.
huson samuel resized.jpg

Private George Washington Weatherington, Co. H, 2nd Mississippi Infantry. Older brother to Private Thomas Benton Weatherington, my great-grandfathter. Killed in action July 1st, 1863, most probably at the Railroad Cut. Burial location unknown, perhaps reinterred with other Confederate dead in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond.

Private John Andrew Jackson Weatherington, Co. F (Catahoula Battalion), 31st Louisiana Infantry. Older brother to both George and Benton. Killed in action at Chickasaw Bayou during Sherman's assault either December 28 or 29, 1862. Burial location unknown.

Of the three brothers, Benton was the only survivor and he was wounded either two or four times (two are documented in his CMSR; the other wounds are passed down oral history). His final wound at the Wilderness on May 5 disabled him for the rest of his life.

Private Richard W. Cole of Black Hawk, Carrol County, MS. After all his sons, except one 12-year old, and all son-in-laws enlisted, he finally was conscripted or enlisted in Company C, of Col. James Z. George's 5th Mississippi Cavalry. Possibly engaged in cavalry battles of Wyatt(MS), 2nd Collierville(TN), Moscow(TN), Okolona(MS), he was killed at the Battle of Fort Pillow, TN.
No grave; no monument.

Civil War Ancestors / Relatives of My Wife & I

Union Private Andrew Jackson Blakely Company G 8th Tennessee Cavalry Died a POW at Danville, Virginia.

Union Private James William Carroll Company F 8th Tennessee Cavalry Died a POW at Danville, Virginia.

Union Private James P. Short Company G 8th Tennessee Cavalry Died From Wounds Received During The Seige Of Knoxville.

Union 1st Lieutenant & Captain Joseph C. Gray 2nd Tennessee Cavalry & 3rd Tennessee Mounted Infantry Killed At Home By The Kirkland Bushwhackers.

Union Private Silas Anderson Company D 11th Kentucky Cavalry Died a POW at Andersonville

Union Private Franklin Crady Company D 33rd & Company K 26th Kentucky Mounted Infantry Killed At Home By Confederate Guerillas

Confederate 3rd Lieutenant Richard D. Copass Company E 60th Tennessee Infantry. Died a POW at Johnson's Island.

Confederate Private John Martin Van Buren Copass Private Company E 60th Tennessee Died a POW At Fort Delaware

Confederate Private William Keen Hulse Company E 60th Tennessee Infantry Died a POW at Camp Morton

Confederate Private John W. Hulse Company E 60th Tennessee. Died of Disease at Mobile, Alabama

Confederate Private Thomas Keen Hulse Company E 26th Tennessee Infantry Died of Disease at Bowling Green Kentucky

Confederate Private Henry Carter Blakely Company B 61st Tennessee Infantry Died Of Disease at Mobile Alabama

Confederate Private John Land Company B 11th North Carolina Infantry Captured April 3, 1865, Died While Hospitalized July 9, 1865

Confederate Captain William J. Miller Company K 53rd North Carolina Infantry KIA July 1, 1863, at Gettysburg.

Abner C. Ball "3rd Grt GrandUncle"
Co. G 22nd Alabama Infantry Page
Died: Dec. 31. 1862 - Stones River

Francis Hiram Cone Jr.
Surgeon in Confederate Army.
Killed at Williamsburg VA 03 May 1862.

William Addison:
Enlisted: Confederate Army
Killed at Fair Oaks, Va June 1, 1862

Reginald Herber Foster:
Fought in the CW KIA 1864

Orlando V. Cone:
Co. B 101st. N.Y. Volunteer Infantry
Kia: 2nd Bull Run Aug, 29 1862
Note: A Letter from Catain to the widow states that:
"He was shot in the head while nobly pressing forward upon the enemy"
Also: Orlando fought in the war with Mexico and recieved a grant of land for his service

Jerome A. Brooks:
Co. I 3rd Battalion 5th NY Heavy Artillery
Enlisted: Aug. 1862
Wounded: Dec. 1862 - Fort Carroll, MD
Died: Dec. 1862 - Fort Carroll, MD

Thomas C Cone:
Co. H 34th Ill Inf.
Enlisted: September 7, 1861
Died: January 15, 1862 - Louisville, KY

Charles H. Cone:
Co. E 69th Ohio Inf.
Died: May 3 1863 - Murfressboro, Tn

Arthur V "Cone" Coan :
Co. G 146th NY Inf
Enlisted: October 10, 1862 - Corporal
Promoted: March 9,1863 - Full Sergeant 1st Class
Promoted: February 17, 1864 - Full Lieutenant 2nd Class - effective March 1, 1864
Wounded: August 18, 1864 - Weldon Railroad, VA
Died: September 30, 1864

William H "Cone" Coan:
Co. K 27th NY Inf.
Enlisted: May 21, 1861
Died: Sept. 11, 1862 "From Disease" - Washington, DC

George B Stockwell
Co. I 9th NY Cav
Died: In Service Oct. 3, 1863

John Williams
Co. I 112 NY Vol.
Enlisted: 1862
Promoted: Sergeant
Died:In Service - Folly Island - 1864

Welcome F Cone
Co. H 10th Mass Inf
Enlisted: June 21,1861
Promoted: Full Corporal
Killed: May 5,1864 - Wilderness, VA

Eliphalet Bingham:
Died: March 15 , 1863

John F. Bingham:
Killed at the Battle of Antietam.

Joshua R. Cone:
Served in the Civil War
Died: 1863

Elijah Lane:
Enlisted: 1861
Died: Andersonville, Ga

Last edited:
Reminds me of the woman one of our nurses wrote of. She was sitting by the bed of her son at Mound City hospital. He was one of seven sons who served and the last surviving. Docs told her to be prepared for this son's death too. It seemed such an appalling, shattering story I went looking for more like it and was a little sorry I did. There were more stories like hers.

To all of them, named and unnamed, we remember you.

CIVIL WAR

Joseph Kennedy: born in 1847 in Ireland. Enlisted in Company F, 93rd New York on December 17, 1861. WIA on May 12, 1864 at the Salient and died of his wound on July 7, 1864. Buried in plot 5472 in Arlington National Cemetery.

James Sampier: born in 1845. Enlisted in Company G, 16th New York in May 1861. Was allowed to return home and returned to the regiment that fall to complete his enlistment. Shot in the hip at a skirmish at White House on the Peninsula. Mustered out with his regiment in May 1863. Enlisted in Company A, 14th New York Heavy Artillery on August 3, 1863 and transferred to Company L as first sergeant in January 1864. Shot through the lung at Petersburg on June 17, 1864 and died on June 20. Probably buried near the battlefield.

Nathan Liscum: born on April 20, 1834. Moved to Illinois before 1860. Enlisted in the 93rd Illinois in the fall of 1862. Died of typhoid at Vicksburg on August 3, 1863.

NON-CIVIL WAR

William Beaudin: born in 1897 in New York. Enlisted in the US Army in 1918. Died of influenza at Camp Jackson, South Carolina on October 5, 1918.

Carl Kennedy: born in 1922. Served with the 357th Infantry, 90th Division in World War II. KIA on June 19, 1944 in Normandy, France.

Daniel Stowell: born on May 20, 1738 in Massachusetts. Enlisted in Captain Ephraim Jackson's Company of Massachusetts Militia in 1760. Missing and probably died during the siege of Montreal.

Ryan

Last edited:
Abner C. Ball "3rd Grt GrandUncle"
Co. G 22nd Alabama Infantry Page
Died: Dec. 31. 1862 - Stones River

Francis Hiram Cone Jr.
Surgeon in Confederate Army.
Killed at Williamsburg VA 03 May 1862.

William Addison:
Enlisted: Confederate Army
Killed at Fair Oaks, Va June 1, 1862

Reginald Herber Foster:
Fought in the CW KIA 1864

Orlando V. Cone:
Co. B 101st. N.Y. Volunteer Infantry
Kia: 2nd Bull Run Aug, 29 1862
Note: A Letter from Catain to the widow states that:
"He was shot in the head while nobly pressing forward upon the enemy"
Also: Orlando fought in the war with Mexico and recieved a grant of land for his service

Jerome A. Brooks:
Co. I 3rd Battalion 5th NY Heavy Artillery
Enlisted: Aug. 1862
Wounded: Dec. 1862 - Fort Carroll, MD
Died: Dec. 1862 - Fort Carroll, MD

Thomas C Cone:
Co. H 34th Ill Inf.
Enlisted: September 7, 1861
Died: January 15, 1862 - Louisville, KY

Charles H. Cone:
Co. E 69th Ohio Inf.
Died: May 3 1863 - Murfressboro, Tn

Arthur V "Cone" Coan :
Co. G 146th NY Inf
Enlisted: October 10, 1862 - Corporal
Promoted: March 9,1863 - Full Sergeant 1st Class
Promoted: February 17, 1864 - Full Lieutenant 2nd Class - effective March 1, 1864
Wounded: August 18, 1864 - Weldon Railroad, VA
Died: September 30, 1864

William H "Cone" Coan:
Co. K 27th NY Inf.
Enlisted: May 21, 1861
Died: Sept. 11, 1862 "From Disease" - Washington, DC

George B Stockwell
Co. I 9th NY Cav
Died: In Service Oct. 3, 1863

John Williams
Co. I 112 NY Vol.
Enlisted: 1862
Promoted: Sergeant
Died:In Service - Folly Island - 1864

Welcome F Cone
Co. H 10th Mass Inf
Enlisted: June 21,1861
Promoted: Full Corporal
Killed: May 5,1864 - Wilderness, VA

Eliphalet Bingham:
Died: March 15 , 1863

John F. Bingham:
Killed at the Battle of Antietam.

Joshua R. Cone:
Served in the Civil War
Died: 1863

Elijah Lane:
Enlisted: 1861
Died: Andersonville, Ga

Is one of these ancestors your avatar, @scone?

A relative of Great Grandpa Webster, who survived Andersonville. The family story says that when he arrived home by train, his wife met him, and carried him off the train, put him in the back of the buckboard and drove him home. My Mom remembers visiting his grave in Toledo when she was a child. I do know that the family had land in that area, as I have a copy of a land grant in that area.

I would like to recognize David L Creech my 2d great grand uncle. He fought with the 21st South Carolina Infantry. He enlisted with the 21st SC Infantry Regiment February 2, 1862. He fought in all the battles that the 21st SC were involved in. He was captured at Fort Fisher January 15, 1865 and was sent to Elmira, New York where he died of chronic diarrhea June 15, 1865.

Dear Heavenly Father
Thank You for the gift of life, the gift of our country, and the gift of freedom.

Thank You for the men and women who protect these gifts, at home and abroad, even at the sacrifice of their own lives, and for their families. They are the true heroes among us.

Today we pause to remember all those who have laid down their lives since our nation's creation, so that we can continue to enjoy the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

A father or mother a sister or brother once a bright spot in somesones eyes... Let Your everlasting light shine upon them, and grant them eternal rest.

Dear God, please protect all who serve our great and blessed country, who fight to keep us free from injustice and harm.
In Jesus' Name I pray.
Amen.

Dear Heavenly Father
Thank You for the gift of life, the gift of our country, and the gift of freedom.

Thank You for the men and women who protect these gifts, at home and abroad, even at the sacrifice of their own lives, and for their families. They are the true heroes among us.

Today we pause to remember all those who have laid down their lives since our nation's creation, so that we can continue to enjoy the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

A father or mother a sister or brother once a bright spot in somesones eyes... Let Your everlasting light shine upon them, and grant them eternal rest.

Dear God, please protect all who serve our great and blessed country, who fight to keep us free from injustice and harm.
In Jesus' Name I pray.
Amen.
Amen, Alleluia! Very nice prayer.

Back