Remembering North Carolina's soldiers that fought at the battle of Gettysburg. July 1-3, 1863.

I have a couple of ancestors who were NC Confederate Soldiers.
- Andrew Williams was in Company B, 57th regiment
- William Owen was in Charles Bradshaw's company, 42nd regiment
Did either of their companies fight at Gettysburg? Are there any good links or books that detail the history of those companies that anyone could recommend?

The 57th NC was at Gettysburg. Hokes (Avery) Brigade, Early's Division, Ewell's Corps. the 57thNC had 316 men at Gettysburg.
John W. Busey and David G. Martin, Regimental Strengths at Gettysburg.

Service record for Private Andrew Madison Williams, Company B. 57th North Carolina:

"Born on December 8, 1836.Resided in Davidson County and was by occupation a farmer prior to enlisting in Rowan County at age 25., October 10, 1862 for the war. Wounded in the left hand at Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 13, 1862. Furloughed for 40 days on or about December 30, 1862. reported absent without leave on May 1, 1863. Reported under arrest for desertion, in November-December, 1863. Returned to duty prior to May 1, 1864. Captured at Winchester, Virginia, September 19, 1864. Confined at Point Lookout, Maryland, September 27, 1864. Released at Point Lookout on May 14, 1865 after taking oath of allegiance. [North Carolina pension records indicate that he was wounded in the head by a piece of shell at Lynchburg, Virginia on an unspecified date.]"

North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865, A Roster, Vol.XIV Infantry, 57-58th, 60th 61st Regiments, Page 122.

The 42th North Carolina was in eastern North Carolina at the time of the Gettysburg campaign.

An interesting thing about Captain Charles W. Bradshaw was that he began his service as a bugler. (page 193)

Service record for 1st sergeant William Owens, Company A, 42nd North Carolina:

Enlisted in Rowan County at age 22, March 6, 1862. Mustered in as a corporal. Promoted to 1st Sergeant in January-February, 1863. Present or accounted for through November 15, 1864. Paroled at Greensboro on May 10, 1865.

North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865, A Roster, Vol. X, 38th-39th, 42nd-44th Regiments, page 202.

Last edited:
The 57th NC was at Gettysburg. Hokes (Avery) Brigade, Early's Division, Ewell's Corps. the 57thNC had 316 men at Gettysburg.
John W. Busey and David G. Martin, Regimental Strengths at Gettysburg.

Service record for Private Andrew Madison Williams, Company B. 57th North Carolina:

"Born on December 8, 1836.Resided in Davidson County and was by occupation a farmer prior to enlisting in Rowan County at age 25., October 10, 1862 for the war. Wounded in the left hand at Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 13, 1862. Furloughed for 40 days on or about December 30, 1862. reported absent without leave on May 1, 1863. Reported under arrest for desertion, in November-December, 1863. Returned to duty prior to May 1, 1864. Captured at Winchester, Virginia, September 19, 1864. Confined at Point Lookout, Maryland, September 27, 1864. Released at Point Lookout on May 14, 1865 after taking oath of allegiance. [North Carolina pension records indicate that he was wounded in the head by a piece of shell at Lynchburg, Virginia on an unspecified.]"

North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865, A Roster, Vol.XIV Infantry, 57-58th, 60th 61st Regiments, Page 122.

The 42th North Carolina was in eastern North Carolina at the time of the Gettysburg campaign.

An interesting thing about Captain Charles W. Bradshaw was that he began his service as a bugler. (page 193)

Service record for 1st William Owens, Company A, 42nd North Carolina:

Enlisted in Rowan County at age 22, March 6, 1862. Mustered in as a corporal. Promoted to 1st Sergeant in January-February, 1863. Present or accounted for through November 15, 1864. Paroled at Greensboro on May 10, 1865.

North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865, A Roster, Vol. X, 38th-39th, 42nd-44th Regiments, page 202.

I had some of the service record information, but not nearly all of it. I find it fascinating to think that my GGG Grandfather was fighting at one of the most famous battles of the Civil War.

With William Owen, the little I had on him was that he was a lieutenant in the Civil War, so either a further promotion wasn't recorded, or someone mis-remembered along the way, since his record lists him as 1st Sergeant. It looks like another unanswered question to research.

Thanks for the reply!

I had some of the service record information, but not nearly all of it. I find it fascinating to think that my GGG Grandfather was fighting at one of the most famous battles of the Civil War.

With William Owen, the little I had on him was that he was a lieutenant in the Civil War, so either a further promotion wasn't recorded, or someone mis-remembered along the way, since his record lists him as 1st Sergeant. It looks like another unanswered question to research.

Thanks for the reply!
Confederate records are often incomplete -- especially late in the war. It is quite possible he was promoted to lieutenant after November 1864.

Credited by whom, I wonder? I ask because it's generally understood that most of Trimble's Division didn't get much further than the Emmittsburg Road and having one of their flags cross the wall and return would be a remarkable feat in and of itself, especially as no Confederates crossed the wall in front of Trimble and Pettigrew's Divisions (with the exception of some Tennesseeans who crossed at the Angle with Garnett and Armistead's men).

R

During the charge on July 3rd 99 more men were lost. Eight more color bearers were killed or wounded. Sergeant Hudspeth and the handful of detached men of Company F he had managed to scrape together all became casualties.
The 26th may not have been in front of Onley’s gun, but rather some ways to the north, in front of the 12th New Jersey. The 26th’s final color bearer of the day, accompanied by a sergeant, carried the 26th’s colors up the slope to the stone wall defended by the Jerseymen, who in respect for their courage held their fire and helped them to safety over the wall.
source-http://gettysburg.stonesentinels.co...nfederate-unit-monuments/26th-north-carolina/

My GGGrandfather, Joseph Piner was a member of the 3rd NC in Steuart's Brigade of Johnson's Division in Ewell's Corps. His regiment was heavily engaged on Culp's Hill July 2nd and 3rd.
Regards
David

My gg-grandfather and his brother were in the 13th NC and both managed to survive the assault on July 1 that took out nearly the entire regiment. Having survived that, my gg-grandfather was wounded during "Pickett's" Charge two days later, but survived the war (thankfully, since I would not be here otherwise).

The 1st North Carolina Cavalry in Hampton’s Brigade, Stuart’s Division.

The fighting retreat after Gettysburg was a critical and classic cavalry rear guard action. Stuart saved Lee’s Army and the 1st NC Cav was central to that effort.

National legislation addressing the remains of Confederate soldiers was not passed until the early 20th century. Widows, sons, daughters and grandchildren took care of it before then.

I think the United Daughters of the Confederacy did a good deal in bringing these fallen soldiers to a proper resting place

Beside the Virginia Brigades in Pickett's Division plus Archer and Perry''s Brigades, some of the North Carolina Brigades took the hardest toll at Gettysburg.

Iverson's Brigade lost 900 of 1385 engaged and Pettigrew's Brigade lost 1450 of 2584 engaged.. Horrific losses.

The 23rd North Carolina was the hardest hit regiment in Iverson's Brigade. Strangely, perhaps, luckily Company D of that regiment wasn't hit that hard. The bloodiest battle for that company had occurred some two months earlier at Chancellorsville where the company had five killed and a sixth man reported missing was believed to have been killed.

Company D (The Pee Dee Guards) had been raised in what was then the western part of my county. At Gettysburg, Company D suffered 3 men mortally wounded. One of them, a lieutenant, was captured after being left on the field wounded, he died after Federal surgeon amputated his leg.

Several 1st cousins of my 3xGreat-Grandfather (Pvt. John Bumgardner / 6th NC Cav.) fought for the 26th North Carolina Infantry during the battle of Gettysburg; two of them died as a result of it.

My cousin Pvt. Allen Bumgarner was killed in the fight against the Iron Brigade on the first day.

On the third day, my cousin Pvt. Simeon Bullis was mortally wounded during the Pickett-Pettigrew Charge at Gettysburg. After being shot on that bloody field of death, Simeon would be picked up by Yankee troops as a prisoner of war and transported to a hospital in New York Harbor. He managed to hang on two months there before dying on September 2, 1863. His remains were placed at Cypress Hills National Cemetery in Brooklyn, NY.

Men like Privates Bumgarner & Bullis are why I proudly stand up & speak out in honor of Confederate soldiers & veterans. These two cousins of mine paid the ultimate price defending Southern independence. I consider it an honor to share blood with men such as these. DEO VINDICE!

In 1888 a former Confederate officer published a small brochure about the controversy regarding the role of North Carolina soldiers in Pickett's Charge. Captain W.R. Bond was of the opinion that Virginia and her sons had received more than their fair share of glory from famed assault.

His Pickett or Pettigrew? An Historical Essay* presents an opposing view of that members of Hill's Corps were not support troops but active participants in the charge. It is an interesting read and will be of interest to the families of the men from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee who have been largely ignored and deserving of equal fame and glory given to the Virginians.
Regards
David
*http://www.gdg.org/research/Authored Items/bond.html

This is the view from the NC Monument on Seminary Ridge looking towards Cemetery Ridge. Every time I visit Gettysburg and stand looking across that field from either side I wonder, Could I have done that?

12.jpg

Carol Reardon wrote a book called Pickett's Charge about the arguing between the ANV veterans over who got the glory. A few Pickett o philes(?) were throwing a little shade on the NC guys, and trying to make it an uniquely Virginian affair.

Back