Remembering Jim Marrs

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Image (10).jpg

Before he became a nationally-known author my friend and reenacting mentor Jim Marrs was a reporter and writer for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and a pioneer in both Civil War and World War II reenacting back in the 1970's and early 1980's. I just received the unwelcome news that yesterday he lost his battle with kidney failure at the age of 73. Jim was best-known as the author of Crossfire - The Plot That Killed Kennedy which was one of two books that director Oliver Stone used to base his film JFK. Jim was much interested in all sorts of conspiracy theories, from Kennedy to aliens from outer space, and could often be found expounding on his theories on late-night talk shows or his blog The View From Marrs and was the author of several other related books. But it was as a reenactor that I first met and knew this remarkable man. Above, Ulysses Simpson Marrs at Corinth, Mississippi in 1976.

Jim Marrs 001.jpg

I have pictured Jim in many of my threads here concerning reenacting in the past, like the above photo showing him second from the right along with myself and friends Mike Hubbard and Ed Owens from the left, this time at a living history encampment at Prairie Grove, Arkansas, in October, 1979.

Duel at Yello Bayou.jpg

Jim was invariably full of fun and ready for any challenge like in the sequence above when he practiced the derring-do routine with fellow Texas reenactor Randall Gilbert they planned for the "battle" at a small event at Yellow Bayou, Louisiana. As the Federal commander, naturally it fell to Jim to be the one to fall!

Image (3).jpg

When I joined our group in spring of 1976 during the Bicentennial Jim was serving as the lieutenant of what was then known as Good's Texas Battery and he took his position seriously, as above in the foreground commanding the left gun at the event at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. He was invariably accompanied by his lovely wife Carol who joined us on the field with her camera and captured the action in these photos; below, the grim harvest of war, naturally starring her husband as he gazes out over the carnage of battle!
Image (4).jpg

Image (14)&13.jpg

In 1978 we began to turn to more authentic impressions and Jim shared leadership of our group with Glen Smith at events like Billie Creek, Indiana; above, the two of them share a quiet moment. At left is a candid shot of Jim I took while he was sewing on a button in our tent at Corinth, Mississippi, the following year. About this time Jim began to divide his time between the Civil War and WWII, becoming the acknowledged leader of the "German" Gibergsjaeger forces at the annual event held near St. Louis, Missouri.

Image (15).jpg

Here in these two photos above and below from Billie Creek Village, Indiana by Carol Marrs our gun crew prepares to be overrun in a charge by Thomas's Mudsills. Unfortunately, around the end of the decade he turned more to his writing and as the 1980's dawned we saw less and less of the Marrs's in the field.
Jim Marrs.jpg

Below, Jim in all his glory where he liked best to be: the center of attention in the middle of a group of friends or associates entertaining everyone with his storytelling, singing, and banjo playing - May he rest in peace!
Image (5).jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 151838

Before he became a nationally-known author my friend and reenacting mentor Jim Marrs was a reporter and writer for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and a pioneer in both Civil War and World War II reenacting back in the 1970's and early 1980's. I just received the unwelcome news that yesterday he lost his battle with kidney failure at the age of 73. Jim was best-known as the author of Crossfire - The Plot to Kill Kennedy which was one of two books that director Oliver Stone used to base his film JFK. Jim was much interested in all sorts of conspiracy theories, from Kennedy to aliens from outer space, and could often be found expounding on his theories on late-night talk shows or his blog The View From Marrs. But it was as a reenactor that I first met and knew this remarkable man.

View attachment 151833

I have pictured Jim in many of my threads here concerning reenacting in the past, like the above photo showing him second from the right along with myself and friends Mike Hubbard and Ed Owens from the left, this time at a living history encampment at Prairie Grove, Arkansas, in October, 1979.

View attachment 151832

Jim was invariably full of fun and ready for any challenge like in the sequence above when he practiced the derring-do routine with fellow Texas reenactor Randall Gilbert they planned for the "battle" at a small event at Yellow Bayou, Louisiana. As the Federal commander, naturally it fell to Jim to be the one to fall!

View attachment 151835

When I joined our group in spring of 1976 during the Bicentennial Jim was serving as the lieutenant of what was then known as Good's Texas Battery and he took his position seriously, as above in the foreground commanding the left gun at the event at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. He was invariably accompanied by his lovely wife Carol who joined us on the field with her camera and captured the action in these photos; below, the grim harvest of war, naturally starring her husband as he gazes out over the carnage of battle!View attachment 151836

View attachment 151840

In 1978 we began to turn to more authentic impressions and Jim shared leadership of our group with Glen Smith at events like Billie Creek, Indiana; above, the two of them share a quiet moment. At left is a candid shot of Jim I took while he was sewing on a button in our tent at Corinth, Mississippi, the following year. About this time Jim began to divide his time between the Civil War and WWII, becoming the acknowledged leader of the "German" Gibergsjaeger forces at the annual event held near St. Louis, Missouri.

View attachment 151839

Here in these two photos above and below from Billie Creek Village, Indiana by Carol Marrs our gun crew prepares to be overrun in a charge by Thomas's Mudsills. Unfortunately, around the end of the decade he turned more to his writing and as the 1980's dawned we saw less and less of the Marrs's in the field.View attachment 151834

Below, Jim in all his glory where he liked best to be: the center of attention in the middle of a group entertaining everyone with his storytelling, singing, and banjo playing - may he Rest in peace!View attachment 151837
Condolences for the loss of your friend, James.

James, on this sad day let me thank you that you showed us some sides of your friend. He is not with you anynore in person, but it is obvious that his spirit lives on. What a great person he was! Consider yourself fortunate that you met him, that you became friends and shared a great passion: reenacting.
May he rest in peace.

From Jim's biographical page on Amazon:

"Jim Marrs is an award-winning journalist and author. After graduating from the University of North Texas with a degree in journalism, Marrs worked for and owned several Texas newspapers before becoming an independent journalist/author. Marrs is the author of the New York Times bestsellers, Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy, the basis for the Oliver Stone film JFK, and Rule by Secrecy. His in-depth overview of the UFO phenomenon, Alien Agenda, is the best-selling non-fiction book on UFOs in the world, having been translated into several foreign languages. He is a frequent guest on several nationwide radio talk-show programs and television programs."

31EA6L5g9ZL._UX250_.jpg

James. I wish I had the pleasure of meeting your friend Jim Marrs. I have a lot of his books and I am a Kennedy Assassination researcher and was a fan of his very impressive work on the Kennedy Assassination. While working at night I will miss his commentary on late night radio. My condolences and sympathy to you and his family. David.

The 1975 version of Good's Texas Battery is commanded by Ken Richardson Jr. left foreground and Mike Calabria, far left, both of Dallas from SCENE, Sunday Magazine of the Dallas Morning News 15 JUN 1975 taken at the APR 1975 Battle of Mansfield, LA note Jim Marrs with flag at right

Attachments

• 1975.jpg
    1975.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 119
James. I wish I had the pleasure of meeting your friend Jim Marrs. I have a lot of his books and I am a Kennedy Assassination researcher and was a fan of his very impressive work on the Kennedy Assassination. While working at night I will miss his commentary on late night radio. My condolences and sympathy to you and his family. David.

Thank you - and I'll bet you never knew he had ever been a Civil War reenactor!

Last edited:
Back