Reluctant Rebs & "Homegrown Yanks": East Tennesseans in the Civil War

Culvert was 1st Lt. With Company H. I wonder if he took over after the Kirkland gang killed your ancestor Captain Gray or was Gray killed after the 3rd was disbanded?
Joseph was killed at his home Jan.15, 1865. There were men in Company F in my end of the State that were still fighting Confederate holdouts after they were mustered out. LOL ! They tried to get credit for it in their pension records. That didn't work out to good !

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Lol, I know what you mean. Lyons and his men were still taking prisoners in May of 65. My gg uncle James was still going into Northern GA and doing the same. Do you recall the duel in Company D between Captain James L. J. Pearson and Lt James Madison Giles? Giles killed Captain Pearson and was wounded in the hip, he ran off, was captured and acquainted by a plea of self defense. After the war he tried to get a pension. He was told you get it for being wounded in combat with the enemy not your commanding officer, lol,lol,lol.

What makes researching East TN regiments so difficult for those who do not have roots there, is the fact that you not only have Union and Confederate Units that have the same designation such as 3rd Tn Mt. Infantry. Which if you check certain old newspaper accounts they do not say USA or CSA. Mainly because the people there at that time knew who they meant. You also have quite a few men who served on both sides on the same numerical unit.

Another difficulty is the fact that family members served on different sides at different times. Companies C G H of the 3rd Union chased after the Kirkland Guerrillas quite a bit. Before during and after their enlistment they were involved in that counter-insurgent warfare. The thing is, there were two Kirklands in Company C, one in Company G and four in Company H. Again you had family on different sides. I would say that Kentucky saw a lot of the same.

What makes researching East TN regiments so difficult for those who do not have roots there, is the fact that you not only have Union and Confederate Units that have the same designation such as 3rd Tn Mt. Infantry. Which if you check certain old newspaper accounts they do not say USA or CSA. Mainly because the people there at that time knew who they meant. You also have quite a few men who served on both sides on the same numerical unit.

Another difficulty is the fact that family members served on different sides at different times. Companies C G H of the 3rd Union chased after the Kirkland Guerrillas quite a bit. Before during and after their enlistment they were involved in that counter-insurgent warfare. The thing is, there were two Kirklands in Company C, one in Company G and four in Company H. Again you had family on different sides. I would say that Kentucky saw a lot of the same.
Great Points ! Here's a good example of what you said ! https://civilwartalk.com/threads/a-recent-find-a-civil-war-believe-it-or-not.144206/