Collection RELIC of the First Connecticut Light Battery

connecticut yankee

First Sergeant
1575387525528.png

On May 15, 1864, during the Civil War Battle of Proctor’s Creek in Virginia, a Confederate artillery shot struck and damaged a gun wheel on one of the cannons belonging to the First Connecticut Light Battery. Soldier Curtis Bacon of Simsbury died as a result. The wheel now resides at the Connecticut State Capitol in Hartford as a memorial to the contributions and sacrifices of the men of the regiment...

View attachment 336913

On May 15, 1864, during the Civil War Battle of Proctor’s Creek in Virginia, a Confederate artillery shot struck and damaged a gun wheel on one of the cannons belonging to the First Connecticut Light Battery. Soldier Curtis Bacon of Simsbury died as a result. The wheel now resides at the Connecticut State Capitol in Hartford as a memorial to the contributions and sacrifices of the men of the regiment...

Very cool, few actual wheels and carriages survive to this day, most are reproductions.

It must not be a permanent exhibit. It was not out on display at the Hall Of Flags when I visited the Connecticut State Capitol in June 2017. Very nice piece.

It must not be a permanent exhibit. It was not out on display at the Hall Of Flags when I visited the Connecticut State Capitol in June 2017. Very nice piece.
I just called the Connecticut State Capitol people and they visually verified the cannon wheel is on display just outside the area of the Hall of Flags. Here is a closer look at the gun wheel taken from a period drawing (Note the damaged hub where the shot struck):

1575397363913.png

Last edited:
I just called the Connecticut State Capitol people and they visually verified the cannon wheel is on display just outside the area of the Hall of Flags.
I notice the base of it is on rollers. I don't think it was there when I visited in June 2017. I think some of the displays were rearranged. I have a picture of that standup flag display case just to the right in the picture you posted. It was by itself when I saw it.

Back