Relic Hunting Siege of Vicksburg Site

Tom Hughes

Sergeant Major
grouping.jpg

With our recent snow/ice storm here in central Mississippi last week, it was definitely time to get back outside once the thaw began this past weekend. Armed with a metal detector, I wanted to find some civil war history at a new site in the Vicksburg campaign. I did manage a few things.

muskethammer.jpg

Here's a close up of the musket hammer. I believe this went to a Belgian .69 calibre musket. I've begun the cleaning process. At this point, most of the loose dirt has been cleaned off. Now time to tackle the hard to clean rust.

TG2.jpg

I know this brass item is difficult to visualize it's function, but it's half of a brass trigger guard to a Kentucky rifle style musket. I say "style" because it matches up closer to the Kentucky rifle trigger guard more than any other style trigger guard I've identified thus far.

enfieldbullet.jpg

Here's a typical fired bullet. This particular one is a British Enfield bullet. Probably fired by a Confederate infantryman.

How did you fare in the ice storm? Did you lose power and water?
Power went out twice but I have a really good generator. Pipe busted on Tuesday but damage was minimal. Had to shut the water off until I could get the pipe fixed. That happened mid-afternoon Friday. All good.

I just got confirmation that my trigger guard piece did indeed come from a Kentucky Rifle. That would almost certainly mean that it had to have belonged to a Confederate soldier at some point. Any thoughts out there?
I don't know about that has back in the day everyone had a KY rifle and could have just been broken where you found it.

Back