Relic collections

Muskrat

Private
I'm a Civil War relic collector and I was wondering what other collections we have out there. This is a chance to boast a little about the pieces you have collected. I for one would be very interested to learn about your collections.

I'm a Civil War relic collector and I was wondering what other collections we have out there. This is a chance to boast a little about the pieces you have collected. I for one would be very interested to learn about your collections.

Oh you are not talking about some of the forum members!

In light of the Kindle world, our books may soon be collectors items

I'm sorry I don,t know what you mean. I thought being a civil war site some people might have some collections. I was interested in hearing about them.

I'm sorry I don,t know what you mean. I thought being a civil war site some people might have some collections. I was interested in hearing about them.

I think he was joking here Muskrat, but I'll let him answer as to that. My collection is very small right now but I'm sure others have huge collections. All I have at this time (always about funds ya know) are 2 bullets confirmed to have come from the sunken road at Antietam. One is a .69 cal roundball and the other is a .58 cal 3 ringer, both dropped. I would think the roundball has to be Confederate and possibly the other also. Bought 2 bullets while in a shop near Appomattox. Hard to say if they REALLY came from there. My prized possession right now is an Ames 1860 Cavalry saber in great condition dated 1864. I do believe it is the real deal. What do you have? You'll be getting a ton of feedback on this, trust me! Give it a bit of time. Doug

If you're talking about "dug" relics, I have very little myself, (stuff that I've found, I don't buy dug relics). My tiny collection consists of several items from the Gettysburg campaign, an Enfield socket bayonet, (the socket with about 6" of blade found years ago near Little Round Top). A canister ball, a Spencer cartridge case, a fuse from an artillery shell, what looks to be some sort of heavy knife blade, (part there-of), a few bullets, and assorted metal/glass junk including bottles and jars, etc.

If you're talking about "dug" relics, I have very little myself, (stuff that I've found, I don't buy dug relics). My tiny collection consists of several items from the Gettysburg campaign, an Enfield socket bayonet, (the socket with about 6" of blade found years ago near Little Round Top). A canister ball, a Spencer cartridge case, a fuse from an artillery shell, what looks to be some sort of heavy knife blade, (part there-of), a few bullets, and assorted metal/glass junk including bottles and jars, etc.

Cool finds Hickory! Nothing like picking it up YOURSELF! Hoping I can be as fortunate soon at Shiloh. (You didn't really read that. Just your imagination. LOL)

Yes, it was an attempt at humor without saying names of some of our forum members and moderators.

You are correct to ask and some do have collections I am sure. I was being serious about our books though. I truly believe they will become relics with all the electronic devices today.

Yes, it was an attempt at humor without saying names of some of our forum members and moderators.

You are correct to ask and some do have collections I am sure. I was being serious about our books though. I truly believe they will become relics with all the electronic devices today.

Bless.. There is the potential.. I have a Kindle and love it... the convenience is just awesomne... down side... the supply of books available is not that great yet...that will improve with time.. It will be interesting to see if the librarys get on board and offer books on loan on an e-reader... or if they become compatible in the future.... I envision my grandchildren going to college and getting the term's books loaded onto an e-reader for a fee, rather than having to buy books as they do now..

ACW relics.. I am not a fan. I am of the opinion they should be allowed to lay where they are, undisturbed. There are several relic hunters who are ont he board and from th ediscussions we have had, I consider them to be very Ethical hunters. Not all are, and the outlaws give everyone a bad name... the holes behind the Texas monumnet at Vicksburg a year or so ago comes to mind.. and as I have mentioned before, I fear graves are being disturbed( unbeknowst to the hunter, but disturbed nonetheless) and this bothers me a great deal.

Once I was at Centennial Park getting ready to go jogging and looked down to see a circular shape where some water had been washing past the bench I was sitting on. It was a dime sized Union army button. But when I learned that a "mock battle" had taken place in the area in the late 1890s, I suspected that's where the button came from, not the Battle of Nashville. My "relics" mostly consist of photos and newspaper clippings from the time, things I found in an old trunk in my grandmother's house in NW Ark.

ACW relics.. I am not a fan. I am of the opinion they should be allowed to lay where they are, undisturbed. There are several relic hunters who are ont he board and from th ediscussions we have had, I consider them to be very Ethical hunters. Not all are, and the outlaws give everyone a bad name... the holes behind the Texas monumnet at Vicksburg a year or so ago comes to mind.. and as I have mentioned before, I fear graves are being disturbed( unbeknowst to the hunter, but disturbed nonetheless) and this bothers me a great deal.

I find the disturbing of graves or holes near monuments to be despicable. That said, I should also walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Will take this under advisement on my upcoming trip to Shiloh. Should I come upon a lockplate, bayonet, or even a bullet, it stays where it lays. Please disregard my post above. Apologies issued. I agree with the quote above.

Old Hickory mentioned that he doesn't consider his itemss that are still servicable to be "relics". I feel they are properly considered as relics of the past. The distinction is between "dug relics" and non-dug relics". Over the years I have collected both with much pleasure and enjoyment.

I do agree that the dug relics should be id'd to preserve their history. As an example of history lost, back around 1973 I was at a "Relic Show" in Virginia where a dealer had dumped a large ammo can of dug bullets onto his table. They were priced from 50 cents to $2 apiece. He knew very little about them and the higher prices were for bullets he couldn't identify. There were probably some 600 - 700 bullets there. I dug through them and found 2 fired Whitworth bullets! Now, that's an important find! I asked him what area the bullets came from because of the historical significance of fired Whitworth bullets, which cost me $2 apiece because he didn't know what they were. He said he bought them from several diggers with no additional information and just dumped them all into one container. How sad.

Jobe

I have been collecting for about 30 years and have quite a few pieces now. Living in western NY there are no real Civil War sites so most of my collection has been bought in various places. I have many bullets,buckles,and shell fragments from various locations. I have a Union cavalry spur and artillery horse bit both dug at Brandy Station. I have 9 high impact minnie balls from Cold Harbor and a small assortment of pieces from East Cavalry Field, Gettysburg. I have a union M1853 Bullseye Canteen, and three small handguns. One is an Allen&Wheelock 32cal. Side Hammer Revolver, An Allen patent 6 shot Pepperbox Revolver and a British made 41cal. Boot Gun and an 1850 or 60's powder flask. Just about a month ago I bought an 1863 Enfield Musket which is complete including bayonet. It has a somewhat dark patina with a little pitting around the nipple but no rust. My favorite piece I bought a few years ago. It is a M1855 Springfield Musket with the Maynard Tape Prime system. Everything is there including bayonet. It even has a roll of the Maynard Tape Primers. It was purchased from a museum and is in beautiful condition. I also found and bought a dug and rusted M1855 Springfield lockplate found near Gettysburg which displays nicley with the musket.

You know I bet I have over three hundred books in my library, two thirds of them on the Civil War.
My wife has a Kindle and never leaves home without it. I guess it's just a matter of taste. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I guess I'm a relic in my own right, I don't have a gun I don't cast and load for, got probably over 1,000 books laying around here, (no, I haven't read them all). I have a like/hate relationship with things electronics, still wear a pocket watch, and hate to let go of my ways. Some day I might be a dug-relic.

Back