Impressions Regimental uniform questions.

Hello all,

I didn't see a thread about this but I have a question. I already do Connecticut regiments and have it almost down. However, my ancestors fought in the western theater then down into Georgia, south Carolina, and Alabama. They were in the 71st/6th Indiana infantry/cavalry, and another in the 124th Indiana infantry. I wanted to portray them properly based on the theater. I was thinking sack coat, Hardee hat, undressed, and my regular gear, including Enfield since I read somewhere that is what they were issued in some regiments,(though I may be wrong).

So what are some suggestions if any body has any idea of what to do, I'm all ears.

Thank you, sincerely Aaron.

Indiana Hysterical society actually has quite a lot of ACW information. It might well be worth seeing what they have on the Regiments in question.

I do not know of anyone who is currently working on Indiana uniforms. I know they receive U.S. uniforms other than that they carried Enfield rifles in 1863 .

Last edited:
I do not know of anyone who is currently working on Indian uniforms. I know they receive U.S. uniforms other than that they carried Enfield rifles in 1863 .

Thank you sir. Yeah finding out all the details is surprisingly difficult for the two regiments my family was in, almost no records I can find. If we had some pictures of them in The period that would be fantastic. Luckily though I am near enough to a state where they saw combat so I can field in the same battles, hopefully in the correct impression to honour them and show others how proud I am to be descended from such men, it will be amazing when I can have the details squared away more.

I suspect Ron Field might be working a book that will include Indiana uniforms, however he would likely not go in to depth once they started revving U.S> Army regulation uniforms. This would involve what U.S.uniforms they retrieved ever couple months and most units received both frock coats and sack coats so details of what they received would make little difference.

I suspect Ron Field might be working a book that will include Indiana uniforms, however he would likely not go in to depth once they started revving U.S> Army regulation uniforms. This would involve what U.S.uniforms they retrieved ever couple months and most units received both frock coats and sack coats so details of what they received would make little difference.

See I love this, something that requires work and actually just working my but off researching to find out.

Early in the war men would write home and describe what uniform they were just issued. After receiving new frock coats and new sack coats 8 or 9 times they did not write home about what they received and often did not even mention the fact they received new uniforms.

Early in the war men would write home and describe what uniform they were just issued. After receiving new frock coats and new sack coats 8 or 9 times they did not write home about what they received and often did not even mention the fact they received new uniforms.

Oh wow, being that I've had issued gear to me in my life, I can definetly relate to that. All happy and proud then after. While it's like. Ugh okay... Thanks. Haha crazy how it hasn't changed much.

We like to think that the soldiers of 1860s were oh so different from us. They weren't. They got hungry, they got tied and they were in fact just like us. I can remember clearly the first uniform issued to me. The last uniform I bought I can not remember at all.

We like to think that the soldiers of 1860s were oh so different from us. They weren't. They got hungry, they got tied and they were in fact just like us. I can remember clearly the first uniform issued to me. The last uniform I bought I can not remember at all.

Same here, I was like. Heck yes, I'm almost a soldier. Then after a few years I'm just like "oh got my uniforms I ordered three years ago? Yeah thanks sergeant" haha good times

Indiana Hysterical society

Sounds like a Farbie organization. :happy::happy:

During the anniversary events in our town, there was a guy named Red who portrayed a soldier in the 66th Indiana Regiment which was garrisoned here. I thought his uniform was right on especially compared to the guy out-fitted as a Regular with the 13 US.
I couldn't find a photo of him on my FaceBook but I will try to post one if interested.

Sounds like a Farbie organization. :happy::happy:

During the anniversary events in our town, there was a guy named Red who portrayed a soldier in the 66th Indiana Regiment which was garrisoned here. I thought his uniform was right on especially compared to the guy out-fitted as a Regular with the 13 US.
I couldn't find a photo of him on my FaceBook but I will try to post one if interested.

That would be groovy if you could, and if you don't mind. I'd love to get a good idea for the impression.

That would be groovy if you could, and if you don't mind.

I was afraid you would say that. I searched and searched through my Puter and Memories and haven't found them yet. They were not the best photos I've taken---lighting and pose. So not sure where I put it.

Here is a photo from one of the Living History events. But it doesn't include the photo of "Red". He had a sack coat(I think it is) with a blanket roll.

Morton Museum- CW Days2014-055.jpg

I'll find a photo or ask our Museum for a copy.

I was afraid you would say that. I searched and searched through my Puter and Memories and haven't found them yet. They were not the best photos I've taken---lighting and pose. So not sure where I put it.

Here is a photo from one of the Living History events. But it doesn't include the photo of "Red". He had a sack coat(I think it is) with a blanket roll.

View attachment 87997

I'll find a photo or ask our Museum for a copy.

Hah Hah, it's quite alright sir. But I do appreciate it, any infor would be helpful. Also, I do truly thank you.

Just for reference, here are a few images of the 9th Indiana Infantry and 44th Indiana Infantry (open in new tab to zoom in). I'm not exactly sure where or when they were taken, though probably mid to late war. Note the variations of modified Hardee hats and slouch hats.

44th Indiana Infantry:
44th Indiana 1.jpg 44th indiana 2.jpg

9th Indiana Infantry:
44th Indiana 4.jpg 44th Indiana 3.jpg

Last edited:
Just for reference, here are a few images of the 9th Indiana Infantry and 44th Indiana Infantry (open in new tab to zoom in). I'm not exactly sure where or when they were taken, though probably mid to late war. Note the variations of modified Hardee hats and slouch hats.

44th Indiana Infantry:
View attachment 87917 View attachment 87919

9th Indiana Infantry:
View attachment 87921 View attachment 87920

Thank you sir, luckily most of this gear I have, so once I get my Hardee back, I'll take some pictures for all to see and critique. I appreciate your help.

Back