Regimental Provost vs. Regimental Court Martial

The Ninth Ohio

Corporal
In looking through several descriptive rosters I've seen notes of some men being sentenced by Regimental Provost, while others are sentenced by Regimental Courts Martial. There doesn't seem to be any "jurisdiction" as far as types of offenses, as both entities have sentenced men for AWOL, for example.

Could someone please illuminate me and the board on the difference between a sentence handed down by by Regimental Provost and one by Regimental Court Martial if any? What was the makeup, function and jurisdiction of these two...I don't even know what to call them...parties? Thank you in advance.

Excellent, thanks. So was this individual elected, appointed, and by whom? Was it a specified US Army position for which they received extra pay? Did they have any duties other than handing down punishments? Was there a process by which they made their decision, or was it arbitrary and unilateral?

I would also be interested in hearing how a regimental court martial was comprised, of whom, whether there were guidelines for their decisions, etc. if anyone can share that information.

Back