Regimental locations project

infomanpa

1st Lieutenant
As far as I know, there are no maps or references that locate regimental monuments including their flank markers on the Gettysburg battlefield. Only regiments with flank markers are included on my maps. Lines are drawn from each monument to the flank markers. Since the veterans of these units took care to locate their regiments after the war, it seemed to me that historians and students of the battle would have some interest in this information. Therefore, I have started a project to create maps with this information. Hopefully, it will be of future use to those who study the battle.

Any reactions, questions or suggestions? I have included one map below:
Hancock Ave.N.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. I have a map of monument locations but it is not a satellite view and doesn't show flank markers.

For even more detail, I would add locations of some famous rocks such as the Devil's Slipper, Devils Kitchen, Sphinx, etc. To add further excitement, I would add several historic photo locations. Jack Kunkel has a web site that compliments his Gettysburg photo book. He uses google satellite views with a pin locating the photo location.

Regardless if the monument is located precisely correct, monuments provide a great anchor to the location. I really wish book authors would use satellite views in displaying their maps. While it is great to view a historically drawn map, nothing beats modern day technology when you are actually on the field.

It serves a useful purpose as a starting point for a discussion, but even if when Union monuments and flank markers appear to be fairly accurately placed on the field, they generally record a unit's location for a limited amount of time over the course of the entire battle, and can therefore be very misleading when trying to interpret what happened in a particular location.

It serves a useful purpose as a starting point for a discussion, but even if when Union monuments and flank markers appear to be fairly accurately placed on the field, they generally record a unit's location for a limited amount of time over the course of the entire battle, and can therefore be very misleading when trying to interpret what happened in a particular location.

Exactly. Where the veterans believe that they were located is just a piece of the total picture, a starting point. From other evidence, we know that some veterans have mistakenly positioned their regiments.

Great job. I have a map of monument locations but it is not a satellite view and doesn't show flank markers.

For even more detail, I would add locations of some famous rocks such as the Devil's Slipper, Devils Kitchen, Sphinx, etc. To add further excitement, I would add several historic photo locations. Jack Kunkel has a web site that compliments his Gettysburg photo book. He uses google satellite views with a pin locating the photo location.

Regardless if the monument is located precisely correct, monuments provide a great anchor to the location. I really wish book authors would use satellite views in displaying their maps. While it is great to view a historically drawn map, nothing beats modern day technology when you are actually on the field.

I would also love to have all that information on maps. I am purposely trying to keep my maps simple and uncluttered. As you've seen, I am not including monuments that don't include flank markers.

In a semi unrelated note, I want to find or create maps like this that show where things have changed over the years. For instance, where exactly the different observation towers, farm lanes, houses, old park roads, old trolley lines, etc.

I am super fascinated in how the battlefield has changed over the years (both good and bad) and at different eras. I watched that Amazon Prime doc last night which I've thoroughly enjoyed, but I still crave more, haha!

As far as I know, there are no maps or references that locate regimental monuments including their flank markers on the Gettysburg battlefield. Only regiments with flank markers are included on my maps. Lines are drawn from each monument to the flank markers. Since the veterans of these units took care to locate their regiments after the war, it seemed to me that historians and students of the battle would have some interest in this information. Therefore, I have started a project to create maps with this information. Hopefully, it will be of future use to those who study the battle.

Any reactions, questions or suggestions? I have included one map below:
View attachment 331863
Infomanpa. I have a spreadsheet that feeds this map, which includes Regimental markers. I've wanted to do exactly what you are doing, but getting there from Indiana with sufficient time to put in the work isn't always practicable.

Let me know if you want the link to my google docs spreadsheet, which has updates and corrections not reflected in the map.

CL

Infomanpa. I have a spreadsheet that feeds this map, which includes Regimental markers. I've wanted to do exactly what you are doing, but getting there from Indiana with sufficient time to put in the work isn't always practicable.

Let me know if you want the link to my google docs spreadsheet, which has updates and corrections not reflected in the map.

CL

Thanks for the offer. Are you saying that your spreadsheet includes the flank markers? If so, I would be interested. The main purpose of my maps is to use the flank markers to graphically illustrate a regiment's location on a map.

Back