Regimental History of the 46th Illinois Volunteer Infantry

kevikens

2nd Lieutenant
I received as a X-mas present from my wife a copy of the Regimental History of the 46th regiment of Volunteer Infantry, first compiled in 1890 by a General Benjamin Dornblaser and put into completed form a by a Thomas B. Jones, Lieut. Company B.Historian. Presently I know nothing about this regiment except that in thumbing through it I can see that they were at Shiloh and Vicksburg. I am writing this in case anyone on this site has ancestors from that regiment and would like to know more about them. This book was put into a printed final volume in 1907. It has thumb nail sketches of a large number of the common soldiers and what they looked like when they were photographed for GAR membership. It includes a roster of all who served and where they were circa 1900. So if anyone reading this knows of a relative from the 46th Ill. or thinks they may have had one in that regiment let me know and I'll send you what is in the book.

Where were they raised?.....Sounds like a great book!!

Farm boys and tradesmen, from towns and hamlets in northern Illinois near the Wisconsin border and along the Rock River, answered President Lincoln's call in late 1861. They signed up at small town recruiting offices and public meetings for a three-year enlistment, and headed off to rendezvous points. Companies A, B, C, G, and K from Stephenson County went directly to Camp Butler, an Army training camp in Sangamon County, near Springfield. The southern Illinois counties of Clay, Jasper, and Richland sent company F to Camp Butler on October 4. Lee, Ogle, and Whiteside Counties sent Companies D, I, H, and E to meet at Dixon, and then on to Camp Butler.

From Illinois in the Civil War: http://www.illinoiscivilwar.org/cw46-hist.html#form

I need to remember this link myself!

Farm boys and tradesmen, from towns and hamlets in northern Illinois near the Wisconsin border and along the Rock River, answered President Lincoln's call in late 1861. They signed up at small town recruiting offices and public meetings for a three-year enlistment, and headed off to rendezvous points. Companies A, B, C, G, and K from Stephenson County went directly to Camp Butler, an Army training camp in Sangamon County, near Springfield. The southern Illinois counties of Clay, Jasper, and Richland sent company F to Camp Butler on October 4. Lee, Ogle, and Whiteside Counties sent Companies D, I, H, and E to meet at Dixon, and then on to Camp Butler.

From Illinois in the Civil War: http://www.illinoiscivilwar.org/cw46-hist.html#form

That may explain something, about the Wisconsin connection. In the inside cover is a pencil handwritten notation reading, Hiram Gale, Co. K, 46thWisc Inf, died March 15, 1951 in 105th year." I wonder if the person who wrote that confused the two regiments. Actually I wonder if Wisconsin did raise a 46th regiment at all. As I look more at the book some of the photos reproduced are from the war itself, but most are from the GAR days.

Yes. that is exactly what this regimental history says. I am going to post another thread from this book on their initial weaponrystrt todsy.

I received as a X-mas present from my wife a copy of the Regimental History of the 46th regiment of Volunteer Infantry, first compiled in 1890 by a General Benjamin Dornblaser and put into completed form a by a Thomas B. Jones, Lieut. Company B.Historian. Presently I know nothing about this regiment except that in thumbing through it I can see that they were at Shiloh and Vicksburg. I am writing this in case anyone on this site has ancestors from that regiment and would like to know more about them. This book was put into a printed final volume in 1907. It has thumb nail sketches of a large number of the common soldiers and what they looked like when they were photographed for GAR membership. It includes a roster of all who served and where they were circa 1900. So if anyone reading this knows of a relative from the 46th Ill. or thinks they may have had one in that regiment let me know and I'll send you what is in the book.
I am new to this site so my reply is way behind the original post. My great, great grandfather, Harm Knock along with his brother Andreas, enlisted in the Illinois 46th infantry regiment on September 1oth, 1861. Andreas was killed on the first day of the Battle of Shiloh, April 6th, 1862. Harm survived to finish out his enlistment and was mustered out on September 13, 1864.

I am new to this site so my reply is way behind the original post. My great, great grandfather, Harm Knock along with his brother Andreas, enlisted in the Illinois 46th infantry regiment on September 1oth, 1861. Andreas was killed on the first day of the Battle of Shiloh, April 6th, 1862. Harm survived to finish out his enlistment and was mustered out on September 13, 1864.
I may have sold that book but I will check to see if I still have it and if so I will look for those two soldiers.

The information you have is exactly that of the book which is almost 400 pages of small print wherein Harm and Andreas are listed. Your dates of enlistment are the same as your information but the book adds that they were residing in Freeport at the time of their enlistment. Andreas is reported as killed at Shiloh, 4/6/62. Harm served his three years and was mustered out 9/13/64. The book lists his 'present' residence as Holland , Nebraska. The original publication was in the early 1890's and then revised in 1907 so I am not certain when Harm was living there. There is a summary of the makeup of the companies and it says that most members of company C were Germans except for a couple of Irishmen and tended to be highly skilled workers. There are individual stories submitted by members of the regiment but none by Harm Knock. There are also many photographs of members of the regiment but none of Andreas or Harm. Harm is not listed as having attended any of the reunions of the regiment. That's about all I can find. At my age plowing through some 400 pages of tiny print is not so easy on the eyes. Frankly I am astonished that so much could be written about one regiment. I wonder if regimental histories of this length are common.

Gaylor: I just found the book. Can you tell me who or what you are looking for other than Harm and Andreas Knock?
Not really looking for anything. For a long time, I have been interested in studying the Civil War and lately I have gotten interested in Ancestry.com. When I uncovered the fact that the two of them had been in the 46th I just started snooping around and found this site. I have a photo of Andreas' headstone at the Shiloh Battlefield. It has been interesting to read about the movements of the 46th at Shiloh and related it to what I have read in the past.
Thanks for taking the time to talk to me and look for the book.

The information you have is exactly that of the book which is almost 400 pages of small print wherein Harm and Andreas are listed. Your dates of enlistment are the same as your information but the book adds that they were residing in Freeport at the time of their enlistment. Andreas is reported as killed at Shiloh, 4/6/62. Harm served his three years and was mustered out 9/13/64. The book lists his 'present' residence as Holland , Nebraska. The original publication was in the early 1890's and then revised in 1907 so I am not certain when Harm was living there. There is a summary of the makeup of the companies and it says that most members of company C were Germans except for a couple of Irishmen and tended to be highly skilled workers. There are individual stories submitted by members of the regiment but none by Harm Knock. There are also many photographs of members of the regiment but none of Andreas or Harm. Harm is not listed as having attended any of the reunions of the regiment. That's about all I can find. At my age plowing through some 400 pages of tiny print is not so easy on the eyes. Frankly I am astonished that so much could be written about one regiment. I wonder if regimental histories of this length are common.

Harm ended up in Dakota Territory some time around 1885. He homesteaded 160 acres of land that is still in my family 130 years later.

My great, great grandfather, William Parker served with the second muster of Company D of the 46th. I know he was mustered in January of 1864 as a private and mustered out a Sergeant in January 1866. I cannot find anything on his individual actions or deed that led to his rise in rank or any other personal info. One fairly reliable source has him dying after he was mustered out and on his way home of yellow fever in Memphis Tennessee. Another source with no reference has him dying in 1877. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Back