Regiment Reunion Ribbons

bobinwmass

Sergeant
When I first joined this forum about 2 years ago, my very first post was about my Model 1850 Foot Officer Sword identified to a captain in the 46th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. The 46th, sometimes referred to as "The Hampden County Regiment", was a 9 month unit comprised of companies from the various towns around where I live. At some point after the war the Regiment apparently began the practice of holding annual reunions in the various towns that sent companies to the regiment. A few years ago I was pleased to find a 46th Regiment reunion ribbon from a year when it was held in my current town. About 6 weeks ago I discovered that someone was selling more of the 46th's reunion ribbons on Ebay in groups of 3 each week, all from different years. Unfortunately I got to the party a little late and missed at least one week's grouping. But for the next 4 weeks I was able to purchase the groups offered for an average price of less than $10.00 per ribbon. Seller hasn't posted anymore and unfortunately it looks like I'm missing a couple of the towns, but the ones I do have make a nice colorful display near the sword, and I'm sure my sword's original owner attended many of these reunions as he was an active officer in the GAR at the local and state level.
20210611_144010.jpg

Here's a photo of the sword in case you missed it.
20210611_144157.jpg

Very Nice. One thing about ribbons is the locals command more as there were not that many of the made. Plus as the years went by there less and less of them.

Ebay seller listed 3 more, so had to make a larger display. Last ribbon says 37th Reunion, and I have 16 ribbons, so still some more to find. Photo in frame to the right is Captain Francis C. Cook of company H of the 46th, whose sword I have.

20210722_080347.jpg

Here is a 15th PA Cavalry 1907 Reunion Medal, and somewhere I think I have a Fuller's Ohio Brigade reunion banner, but I don't have a picture. The itme in the middle of the last image is a cigar box top from the period when Wm. Jackson Palmer enjoyed some national celebrity.

reunion - 2.jpg

reunion 3.jpg

reunion 4.jpg

Attachments

• Palmer Memorabilia.pdf
    513.8 KB · Views: 15
Back