Regiment muster out decisions and locations

5NYCav

Cadet
Would like to obtain information on how decisions were made on the discharge (mustering out) of regiments were made. Also, why such a wide variety of locations. Based on research of various regiments, I find some were mustered out at where they were at the time of the surrender, moved to their mustering in location, sent to New York City, kept in service for various reasons (keeping order, parades).
Further, information on the variety of rules about what equipment they could keep, buy and/or were required to turn in.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Would like to obtain information on how decisions were made on the discharge (mustering out) of regiments were made. Also, why such a wide variety of locations. Based on research of various regiments, I find some were mustered out at where they were at the time of the surrender, moved to their mustering in location, sent to New York City, kept in service for various reasons (keeping order, parades).
Further, information on the variety of rules about what equipment they could keep, buy and/or were required to turn in.
Can anyone help?

rpkennedy

Major
For the veterans of the Army of the Potomac, many of them were mustered out at the end of the war around Washington in the weeks following the Grand Review on a staggered schedule. Earlier in the war, many of the units that were being mustered out were sent home first. For example, many of the 2-year New York regiments would parade in New York City or Albany (if not both) before getting on trains or boats to get home. From what I've read, the men could buy just about all of their accoutrements if they wanted to do so although there may have been some rules that I've never seen.

Ryan

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!