Reenactors how was your season

Sounds like it's going to be a great event but committed to going to Cedar Creek. Can't do two long road trips on back to back weekends right now. Look forward to seeing reports and pictures from Stone's River.
Hmmm...when you get done at Cedar Creek, (one of my all time favorites by the way) just paclk up and drive west...we'd be glad to see ya! 😁

I´ve had a pretty full year, with 2 more events left. But they were all WW2 and French and Indian events. Timing just meant that I didn´t get any Civil War in at all this year.

Hmmm...when you get done at Cedar Creek, (one of my all time favorites by the way) just paclk up and drive west...we'd be glad to see ya! 😁
Believe me I'd love to but can't this time. I'm getting down to the last few weeks of building a new house and while my better half is an incredibly good sport about my reenacting illness that may turn bad if I disappeared for over a week right now. :frantic:

Believe me I'd love to but can't this time. I'm getting down to the last few weeks of building a new house and while my better half is an incredibly good sport about my reenacting illness that may turn bad if I disappeared for over a week right now. :frantic:
It's all good my friend. I was just givin' ya the business...just a little. We are hoping for a decent turnout. Good luck with your house, I'm sure you'll be very happy in it.

Pretty good! 1st season back since I was a kid. Got out to 5 events as a participant. Last Letter Home and Rosecrans' Pursuit were a good time and had a solid turnout The local mainstream battle events were a bit laughable. Less reenactors than at the campaigner events, the battles werent so good. I did a couple drill like events as well that were ok. Looking forward to a big year next year! Garfields Ascent, 1st Minnesota at Gburg and 4th TX at Antietam are the headliners!

Pretty good! 1st season back since I was a kid. Got out to 5 events as a participant. Last Letter Home and Rosecrans' Pursuit were a good time and had a solid turnout The local mainstream battle events were a bit laughable. Less reenactors than at the campaigner events, the battles werent so good. I did a couple drill like events as well that were ok. Looking forward to a big year next year! Garfields Ascent, 1st Minnesota at Gburg and 4th TX at Antietam are the headliners!
What company were you in a Rosecran's?

I was on the other side, we dug such nice earthworks to great you and you guys never came to visit 😁
Haha, yeah we stayed up on the hill, but I heard they were pretty nice. I was on picket duty Saturday night and got to see the cavalry raid (i guess?) the confederate camp which was cool to see. Even though at first I wasn't entirely sure what I was seeing and thought the rebs were rebelling against themselves for a second haha.

Haha, yeah we stayed up on the hill, but I heard they were pretty nice. I was on picket duty Saturday night and got to see the cavalry raid (i guess?) the confederate camp which was cool to see. Even though at first I wasn't entirely sure what I was seeing and thought the rebs were rebelling against themselves for a second haha.
Yup, they were the only Yanks that came to visit. Had some interesting moments on the picket line both nights.

I am not a reenactor but I do have a question. I was discussing with a Black man about the War of Northern Aggression / The Southern Revolution / War for Southern Independence/ the Civil War/ War of Southern Rebellion . He ask me a interesting question; why do we do reenactments of a war which was fought over slavery. I believe that because I am a Southerner that question was concerning why men from the South participated esp. since it is now factually stated that the South fought for the institution of slavery. I was about to state that most certain men wen to war over states rights ,fear of Northern aggression ,protection of their homes . The he pointed out that the political leaders made the cause slavery and the Confederate Constitution stated the the reason for separation was for the protection of that particular institution of slavery. So may be one who does participate can render me a response to why we still have these events , I would like to hear from my Yankee associates as to why they do this also. I know that it is for some a act of honoring their ancestor who fought but in the thoughts of certain people doing this is a act of remembering to them of a past of slavery. I personally would participate and would be on the Confederate army ,the same regiment from Alabama which my great great grandfather fought in. My reason being I would be doing so for the protection of my why of life/not slavery and my country/ the county I was raised on.

I am not a reenactor but I do have a question. I was discussing with a Black man about the War of Northern Aggression / The Southern Revolution / War for Southern Independence/ the Civil War/ War of Southern Rebellion . He ask me a interesting question; why do we do reenactments of a war which was fought over slavery. I believe that because I am a Southerner that question was concerning why men from the South participated esp. since it is now factually stated that the South fought for the institution of slavery. I was about to state that most certain men wen to war over states rights ,fear of Northern aggression ,protection of their homes . The he pointed out that the political leaders made the cause slavery and the Confederate Constitution stated the the reason for separation was for the protection of that particular institution of slavery. So may be one who does participate can render me a response to why we still have these events , I would like to hear from my Yankee associates as to why they do this also. I know that it is for some a act of honoring their ancestor who fought but in the thoughts of certain people doing this is a act of remembering to them of a past of slavery. I personally would participate and would be on the Confederate army ,the same regiment from Alabama which my great great grandfather fought in. My reason being I would be doing so for the protection of my why of life/not slavery and my country/ the county I was raised on.
As someone who does almost exclusively union side I can say that I do civil war reenacting to learn and better understand what the common soldier went through. Combining this with the reading gives you a better perspective. Another major reason I do reenacting is for preservation. Every Campaigner event I have done or am registered for has money going towards battlefield and historical preservation. At Rosecrans' pursuit close to $9,500 was raised by the end of the weekend, all for preservation.

You should jog on over to the thread ¨What was on the minds of Confederate soldiers that they were willing to fight and die...¨ You´ll see the range of opinion about Confederate motivation (including a few of my own thoughts). That´s a huge question that´s hard to answer briefly. I´d also refer you to Allan Nevins ¨Ordeal of the Union,¨ Volume I for a more thorough analysis of the reasons for war than you may ever want.

Nice way to try to detail someone's thread, but the simple answer is if you like history, black powder firearms, camping, and the camaraderie of spending weekends with like minded people it's fun and shouldn't need more explanation than that.

Nice way to try to detail someone's thread, but the simple answer is if you like history, black powder firearms, camping, and the camaraderie of spending weekends with like minded people it's fun and shouldn't need more explanation than that.
THIS is exactly why I started reenacting 32 years ago .

Pretty good! Just finished our season at Mullica Hill, although we will be doing the Remembrance Day parade next month, as well as a military timeline around Christmas. No more battles though. I managed to get my girlfriend hooked which is amazing, and things are looking VERY bright on the recruiting front for my company, at least for now. We had some drama at the end, but ultimately it won't actually effect anything, so no big deal.

Pretty good! Just finished our season at Mullica Hill, although we will be doing the Remembrance Day parade next month, as well as a military timeline around Christmas. No more battles though. I managed to get my girlfriend hooked which is amazing, and things are looking VERY bright on the recruiting front for my company, at least for now. We had some drama at the end, but ultimately it won't actually effect anything, so no big deal.
No Cedar Creek this weekend ?

We had planned on 3 but Hale cancelled. So we only did 2..I work and then I had to take care of my Mom..very messy! We did Burton, and we did Zoar, and we did a thing at Lakeview cemetary honoring veterans. We also did stuff in Mackinac which was tons of fun. So, not bad for events.

the guy who holds the insurance policy stated we can not do any events outside the one he listed. Plus last weekend I got injured pretty badly and the guy wont give up the insurance info. So I had a pretty messed up year with political bs
:frown:

I hope you have a fast recovery !

Hopefully reenactments/living history will get somewhat "back to normal" next year.

Back