Reenactor heads to Shiloh

Glorybound

Major
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
Civil War reenactor prepares for Battle of Shiloh

By Scott Bandle | Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 6:30 am

4f6cf4c0df227_preview-300.jpg

Larry McDaniel pointed to a small piece of folded green cloth sewn to the side of his blue Civil War cap.

"You see that?" he said. "During the Civil War, this indicated that I was an Irishman. Hopefully, an Irishman on the other side would see it and not shoot me. At least, not hurt me too badly."
McDaniel, 62, knows this and hundreds of other small details about Civil War uniforms, weapons, insignias and lore. As a historical reenactor, he believes details are important.

The retired Affton resident has been a reenactor since 1994. It's a passion that will continue this week when he and about 6,000 re-enactors from throughout the country head to Shiloh, Tenn., to take part in the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh. The conflict, which occurred April 6-7, 1862, was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War.

During the reenactment from March 29 to April 1, McDaniel will be a captain in Walker's Brigade, formed by a group of re-enactors from the St. Louis area. He will drive to Shiloh, Tenn., with friends Gary Dunakey of Foristell, Mo., and Glen Alsop of St. Clair, Mo.

"We're all looking forward to it," McDaniel said. "With 6,000 people, that's going to be huge."
These battles are a way of honoring the courage of the soldiers on both sides, he said. The Civil War was fought with modern weapons using the old-school tactics of Napoleon. Both sides lined up shoulder-to-shoulder, aimed and fired. The results were high casualty rates.

"A soldier only had a 20 percent chance of making it through the whole war," McDaniel said. "These were big bullets that created horrible wounds. If it hit an arm or a leg, the only treatment was amputation. If you were shot in the gut, you were dead. You might live for a while, but you were dead."

His involvement with reenactments started with his son, Scott, about 18 years ago. His son was portraying a Confederate soldier in a reenactment near Potosi. McDaniel went to watch him and immediately wanted to take part.
"I started to ask around and found a group," he said.

McDaniel also is a history buff. He discovered that his great-grandfather, Benjamin McDaniel, who lived in what is now Wildwood, fought in the Civil War. Almost all of McDaniel's family, including his father and a lot of relatives, were born and raised in that area of St. Louis County. His interest grew so much that he joined the Wildwood Historical Society about a year ago. McDaniel is now a trustee with a society.

The love of history is a common thread with reenactors, South St. Louis resident Michael Watson, 61, said. Over the past 33 years, Watson has been to dozens of reenactments.

"Just like Larry, a lot of reenactors found out that they had relatives who fought in the Civil War," Watson said. "They do it as a link to their families. For me, I live and breathe the Civil War."

He also will take part in the 150th Shiloh Anniversary. He also was there for the 125th anniversary.

Being a Civil War reenactor is not cheap.
McDaniel has six different uniforms. His replica 1862 Spencer repeating rifle cost about $1,200. Plus, there's the cost of travel and lodging.
For him, it's all worth it.
"I enjoy the camaraderie with the other reenactors during the battles," he said. "Afterwards, it's about the libations."

His wife, Joan, doesn't go to the battles, but accepts her husband's passion.
"I've gone to some and, a lot of times, it's too hot," she said. "I like the indoor events, but now he goes with friends."

McDaniel portrays Union soldiers, but is willing to cross over to the Confederate side when needed. Sometimes, at battles, there may be more Union troops than Confederate.
"They'll ask people to switch over and I do," he said. "You need to balance it out."

During his 20 years of reenacting, Scott McDaniel always has been a Confederate soldier.
"My dad and I joke around and give each other trouble sometimes," he said. "I just like being a Confederate soldier."

Larry McDaniel has met a lot of interesting people at the reenactments, including overseas visitors. Many people don't know that the Civil War is a popular subject in Europe.
"At the bigger battles in the United States, I've talked with British and German reenactors," he said. "They like taking part."
Many Europeans also have discovered they had ancestors who fought in the American Civil War, Watson said.

"There was a lot of immigration," he said. "A lot of Irish, Germans and other immigrants came here and fought. In Europe, that's their connection to the Civil War."

http://www.stltoday.com/suburban-jo...cle_a3a0d18d-2e48-52e0-8acc-0aaaf78f854d.html

He's tougher than I, we're about the same age but I had to give it up years ago.
I was in a unit that had a guy 75 years old and could still outmarch anyone in the unit. He spent 30 some years in the russian military as their equivalent to a drill instructor. He went to bed a little earlier than the rest,,,,,,,,a little sore maybe, but always fell in at the sound of roll call.

Interesting, Shiloh was the first battle my GG Grandfather was in. I'd be willing to bet at the time he wished he was someplace else.

Interesting, Shiloh was the first battle my GG Grandfather was in. I'd be willing to bet at the time he wished he was someplace else.
My own ancestor Frank Conrad had only been in the Army a couple weeks when he saw the elephant at Shiloh, he and his Regt were on the left flank of the Hornets nest near the peach orchard. He would lose his eye at the Hatchie later in the year.

I like the fact this forum allows the decendents of former adversaries to share their love and knowledge of this terrible time in American history.
My G grandfather, Charles E. Kidd, told my father stories which I hope are true..lol He told my father he was left for dead with a heatstroke in the Peach Orchard. He lived to be an old man, I have pictures from UCV reunions in B'ham, Ala.
I'm with Robtweb1, I felt I had to quit because I looked too old. ! Lol

Back