Reenactment Of The Battle of Fort Blakeley, April 10, 2021 at 10:30am EDT – 5pm EDT [Spanish Fort, Al]

You sound like you've never actually been to a quality event. You should try it some time.
Pearson
I really don't want to get into it, but yes I've been to "quality events" as you call them. I tend to have little to no use for the hardcore/campaigner community because outside a select few of really dedicated people who know they're stuff and truly are the best representation of what reenactors should aspire to, the majority are a bunch of hypocrites, many not even being well educated on the matter. Too infected with what I call a "cool kid" syndrome and if no one is watching them will buy the farbiest stuff imaginable. Or brag about how "high quality" or super period correct they're uniforms and gear are when stuff like Federal contract sack coats weren't "quality" in the CW, and to be period correct should be junk.

Besides, I've followed this years Fort Blakely with shock. A little ole thunderstorm made half the guys out there go home after some poor sap officer said the event had been cancelled rather than stay like the dedicated guys did. Ruined all the VERY hard work the organizer put into this years event, and I really feel for him and others that worked they're behinds off just for many to run on home.

Or to put it another shorter way, I've done my research, still research all the time, and the campaigner community has a lot of guys who's done they're homework, but the majority haven't and thus it stinks of hypocrisy to me. Plus I absolutly can't stand people who'll go out of their way to pick fights with other reenactors and talk smack. (Unless its dismounted cav. reenactors, I'm game on that.:D)

I stand by my previous observation. Find it pretty telling that you say "...absolutly can't stand people who'll go out of their way to pick fights with other reenactors and talk smack." in a post where you do little else BUT talk smack.
Pearson

I stand by my previous observation. Find it pretty telling that you say "...absolutly can't stand people who'll go out of their way to pick fights with other reenactors and talk smack." in a post where you do little else BUT talk smack.
Pearson

I have my position on that matter, you got yours, everyone's happy. I poke fun at the group because of the judgmental bs that spews from members of the campaigner community when they ain't no different than any other reenacting group besides their willing to pay good money towards American labor on uniforms and gear. Heck a lot of the mainstream farbs y'all like to attack were hardcore as they possibly could be in they're younger days, and the oldest deserve respect as they helped start this hobby of ours.

It's the campaigner community that likes throw stones, I'm just the rare type who throws them back.

There's a lot of guys in the campaigner community that are the best people, know their stuff, and don't throw stones at others, but there are many who don't know their stuff from a hole in the ground and are just the "cool kids" as I said. The sad part is they've been getting to outnumber the good for too long. You don't agree, that's perfectly fine, I'm an opinionated observer who's very cynical at people in general and loves to point out hypocrisy in others because I can't stand it.

"Heck a lot of the mainstream farbs y'all like to attack..."
Awful lot of projection here. Campaigners/hardcores have never been anything but helpful in my experience. Don't paint with so broad a brush. it just makes you look sour and recalcitrant. Wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
Pearson

I am sorry it didn't make this event maybe next year. I am a Civilian reenactor.
Unfortunately the main event on Saturday got washed out when those nasty storms rolled through Saturday morning. We did get some action in Friday afternoon and evening so it wasn't a total loss. Getting some night fighting in is definitely exciting and something we don't get to do very often so that alone was worth the trip.

"Heck a lot of the mainstream farbs y'all like to attack..."
Awful lot of projection here. Campaigners/hardcores have never been anything but helpful in my experience. Don't paint with so broad a brush. it just makes you look sour and recalcitrant. Wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
Pearson
Lets call it projection born from experience. I'll admit I am recalcitrant towards many...

Try not to overlook that I have tried to give the good it's due. I love to say the Campaigner community has the best of the best, and worst of the worst all in one character wise where reenacting communities are concerned.

Good luck to you and have fun at the events. Now I need to pry myself away from the computer and get back to handsewing a free uniform for friend in need.

My bad side shows far more than my good.:D

Unfortunately the main event on Saturday got washed out when those nasty storms rolled through Saturday morning. We did get some action in Friday afternoon and evening so it wasn't a total loss. Getting some night fighting in is definitely exciting and something we don't get to do very often so that alone was worth the trip.

Glad to hear it was good time all things considered. I watched the results of the event with complete shock, I just feel sorry for everyone and most of the organizers of that event. They put a TON of work in to make it a good for people. The debacle made me decide to come out next one in 2023 just to support them.

I really don't want to get into it, but yes I've been to "quality events" as you call them. I tend to have little to no use for the hardcore/campaigner community because outside a select few of really dedicated people who know they're stuff and truly are the best representation of what reenactors should aspire to, the majority are a bunch of hypocrites, many not even being well educated on the matter. Too infected with what I call a "cool kid" syndrome and if no one is watching them will buy the farbiest stuff imaginable. Or brag about how "high quality" or super period correct they're uniforms and gear are when stuff like Federal contract sack coats weren't "quality" in the CW, and to be period correct should be junk.

Besides, I've followed this years Fort Blakely with shock. A little ole thunderstorm made half the guys out there go home after some poor sap officer said the event had been cancelled rather than stay like the dedicated guys did. Ruined all the VERY hard work the organizer put into this years event, and I really feel for him and others that worked they're behinds off just for many to run on home.

Or to put it another shorter way, I've done my research, still research all the time, and the campaigner community has a lot of guys who's done they're homework, but the majority haven't and thus it stinks of hypocrisy to me. Plus I absolutly can't stand people who'll go out of their way to pick fights with other reenactors and talk smack. (Unless its dismounted cav. reenactors, I'm game on that.:D)
Don't believe everything you see on the internet, I was actually there on the Union side. I can tell you it was miserable Saturday morning. The whole camp was in ankle deep water and everybody's stuff was water logged. I sat there in the water during the storms with my gum blanket wrapped around my cartridge box holding it out of the water so I was one of the lucky few who had any dry powder at all. The officers met several times during the morning hoping to keep the show going but it didn't stop raining and they pulled the plug about 10 am and told us to pack up. It finally did clear up but I don't see how it could've gone on. That said if they had asked us to try there were plenty of us there willing. As far as campaigner events go, all the ones I've been to everyone has been nothing but nice. It's a shame a few blowhards on the internet give everyone a bad name. I try to go to as many events as I possibly can both on the campaign and mainstream side and enjoy them both. Worthless internet banter doesn't affect my opinion, maybe you should try it sometime.

Anybody brings up anything related to the authentic side of the hobby, and this Rusk County kid immediately starts waxing about the hardkewls. This is just bitter and insular whining

I went to the Final Campaign three weeks ago; 25 degrees, a handful of parched corn for, marching several miles. No attrition. We had six brand new people who had never reenacted before. Teaching moments all weekend. People more than happy to lend out stuff and help in any way.

But what do I know, I was just there.

Who are these "authentic guys" you keep complaining about? What are the names? What group are they part of? What events do they do? Post that instead of "them" and "they" it doesn't sound like anyone actually involved in the campaigner side of things.

I guessing you're ace in the hole is "but you drove to the event". Just stop whining about stuff you have no idea about.

If you really want to see what the authentic stuff is like, you are more than welcome to join the company I've put together for Last Letter Home. We've got 50+ guys signed up and for many, it will be the first campaigner event. I've gone out of my way to help get people squared away and I would do the same for anyone who is interested. That goes for you or anyone on this page

If you really want to see what the authentic stuff is like, you are more than welcome to join the company I've put together for Last Letter Home. We've got 50+ guys signed up and for many, it will be the first campaigner event. I've gone out of my way to help get people squared away and I would do the same for anyone who is interested. That goes for you or anyone on this page
Are you going to Rosecran's Pursuit?

Anybody brings up anything related to the authentic side of the hobby, and this Rusk County kid immediately starts waxing about the hardkewls. This is just bitter and insular whining

I went to the Final Campaign three weeks ago; 25 degrees, a handful of parched corn for, marching several miles. No attrition. We had six brand new people who had never reenacted before. Teaching moments all weekend. People more than happy to lend out stuff and help in any way.

But what do I know, I was just there.

Who are these "authentic guys" you keep complaining about? What are the names? What group are they part of? What events do they do? Post that instead of "them" and "they" it doesn't sound like anyone actually involved in the campaigner side of things.

I guessing you're ace in the hole is "but you drove to the event". Just stop whining about stuff you have no idea about.
In case you didn't notice I bowed out and shut up, now your trying to start the mess back up. And I ain't calling any names out to be respectful, I'll call bs on folks, but I'm respectful enough to not name names on the internet.

And for your information I'm not one of those jacka**es that throws the "but you drove to the event" nonsense around.

Finally I ain't one to throw a fit about something I "have no idea about" as that's just plain ignorance. I'm a BIG believer in knowing what I'm talking about before I say something.

Want to talk about "bitter and insular whining" the most that I ever seen was Campaigners going to Mainstream events and doing it when the organizers bent over backwards to give them a Campaigner Camp where they didn't have see all the farbs and trying tweak scenarios to suit them.

The kicker was them whining and talking smack about people that got them into reenacting and did all the stuff your saying you've done for folks. Such things I have zero tolerance for, I'm a live let live person till someone people want to talk smack, then I throw stuff right back.

As I've said COUNTLESS times in this thread I'm well aware of the good in the Campaigner community, some of the guys in there I admire and can only say good things about. I'm just not one to pretend the bad doesn't exist. The first step to solving any problem is to recognize it. Instead of cherry picking what I say and trying to p*** me off, go out there and prove me wrong!

I'll give you all a glimpse at a rare sight, me (left) wearing blue 😯 It happens on rare occasion. That's me and one of my mess mates from New England at Blakely Friday afternoon before things turned wet.
20210409_121724.jpg

A little ole thunderstorm made half the guys out there go home after some poor sap officer said the event had been cancelled rather than stay like the dedicated guys did. Ruined all the VERY hard work the organizer put into this years event, and I really feel for him and others that worked they're behinds off just for many to run on home.

Plus I absolutly can't stand people who'll go out of their way to pick fights with other reenactors and talk smack. (Unless its dismounted cav. reenactors, I'm game on that.:D)
Little old thunderstorn? Seriously? You weren't there. You don't know what happened. You don't know how things happened. Despite this, you're talking smack and casting judgment with the moral superiority as if you had been there.

- S.S. Mucket

Little old thunderstorn? Seriously? You weren't there. You don't know what happened. You don't know how things happened. Despite this, you're talking smack and casting judgment with the moral superiority as if you had been there.

- S.S. Mucket
Someone ain't heard the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie" have they? In case you didn't notice moderator's hammer hangs over this thread.

The "little old thunderstorm" remark was a light hearted jest, I live in the path of it got hit by it before y'all did. I've camped in worse, many out there including yourself for all I know have, the Union camp was in flood plain according to everyone I've talked to, now let the matter lie.

Oh and for the record I never claimed to have been there, my whole spring reenacting season is shot due to family matters. I have a great deal of sympathy for the good people that put on Blakely as they work they're behinds off to put it on, so no moral superiority here, just a straight talker who doesn't ignore anything and will tell it like it is as I see it.

Thread being reopened. There will be ZERO TOLERANCE for the inappropriate behavior that caused it be closed and reviewed by staff. C'mon folks.

Back